This delicious homemade Tartar Sauce recipe is a classic and a family favorite! It is easy to make and uses ingredients you have on hand for a simple, delicious sauce to serve with fish and seafood.
My family loves fresh fish and seafood recipes. We enjoy this scrumptious, yet simple to make, homemade Tartar Sauce with many varieties of fish. In five minutes or less, I have this fresh, homemade tartar sauce prepared and ready for serving. It’s so good and so easy to make. I can’t imagine buying the bottled variety.
How to Make Tartar Sauce Recipe
Be sure to see the recipe card below for the full listing of ingredients, instructions, notes, and estimated nutritional information.
To make this, you’ll use these ingredients:
- Mayonnaise or Yogurt
- Sweet Pickle Relish (and some of its juice) or Capers
- Yellow Mustard
- Lemon Juice
- Salt and Pepper
You stir these ingredients together until combined.
I like to make it a bit before serving and store it in the refrigerator. It allows the tartar sauce to thicken as it chills and allows the flavors to develop more fully. However, my son prefers it freshly made so I usually make it right before serving when he’s involved. Either way, it’s incredible!
To make ahead. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
To freeze. I do not recommend freezing this recipe as it is mayonnaise based and it will change the texture.
Here’s my recipe for Tartar Sauce. I think you’ll love it.
Tartar Sauce Recipe
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise, or yogurt
- 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish , or capers
- 1 teaspoon juice of pickle relish
- 2 teaspoons prepared yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- pinch kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Stir together mayonnaise, relish and juice, mustard, lemon juice, salt, and pepper until well combined. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to two weeks.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.