This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Balsamic chicken salad always makes a family favorite meal and this version as an easy, yet flavorful balsamic chicken sandwich is out of this world!
I really can’t take much credit for these. They were actually my husband’s idea. I had made balsamic chicken for another purpose, but he came home from work for lunch and decided these chicken salad sandwiches were what he wanted.
We had all of the ingredients on hand since my son is now a bit obsessed with croissants from the local bakery. Otherwise, these would have been just fine on another type of bread.
I tossed my balsamic chicken into my stand mixer with some cream cheese, a little of the balsamic marinade I’d reduced and let the mixer work magic in making the quick chicken salad. Oh my goodness y’all, the balsamic chicken is so full of flavor and tender from cooking in the slow cooker. It just melts in your mouth. And then mixing with just a little bit of cream cheese to hold it together – it just becomes such a flavorful chicken salad. Ahh-mazing!
Anywho, I halved and toasted the croissants, layered on some spinach, the chicken salad, and slices of Monterey Jack cheese and then popped them back into the oven just to let the cheese begin to melt.
These easy little sandwiches that began with ingredients that were going to be something else entirely were scrumptious!
And my sweet husband was beaming.
I think he may be trying to take over my job as the foodie in the house or something.
If he starts taking photos of our food, I’m in trouble.
Oh wait, that could be a good thing.
Here’s the recipe for his Toasted Balsamic Chicken Salad Sandwiches.
Toasted Balsamic Chicken Salad Sandwich Recipe
For the Balsamic Chicken:
- 2-4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup chicken stock or broth
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce or coconut aminos
- 2 teaspoons honey
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
For the Sandwich:
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 6 large croissants halved and toasted
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 6 slices Monterey Jack cheese
- Place all ingredients for the balsamic chicken (through garlic) into insert of slow cooker. Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6 hours. Remove chicken from insert and pour balsamic sauce into a small sauce pan over medium heat. Cook until reduced by half, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350º F.
- Break apart chicken into large chunks and mix together with cream cheese and about ¼ cup of reduced balsamic sauce. Set aside.
- Layer spinach, prepared balsamic chicken salad, and cheese. Place into oven for 5 minutes or until cheese has begun to melt. Drizzle with more balsamic sauce, if desired. Remove from oven and top with other half of toasted croissant.
Hope ya love em!
Updated from a post previously published January 2013.