White Sausage Gravy and Buttermilk Biscuits is one of the South’s greatest breakfast treats. Mind you, this isn’t a breakfast we have on a regular basis, but when we need a quick, comforting delicious breakfast that everyone loves, it is one that I turn to.
Little Buddy had one of his best friends over Friday night to play on Saturday. Knowing how hard they play all day long, I knew I wanted to fix a breakfast they both would love and that would fill them up for a hard day of airsoft, scooters, and playing on the farm.
Without a doubt, the boys (and adults) loved it.
Making a good white sausage gravy takes just a little bit of practice, sort of like making a good pie crust or biscuits. It is one of those recipes that practice makes perfect. After making it a time or two, you’ll learn how to make it just right every time.
I remember watching my Grandmother and Mama making gravy as a young girl thinking there was no possible way that I would learn how to make three or four ingredients make something so delicious. But, over time, after a few unsuccessful attempts, I now feel like I could make gravy I’d be proud to serve them.
That’s when I feel like I’ve got it just right.
Here’s my White Sausage Gravy and Buttermilk Biscuits Recipe. Make it soon for someone you love.
White Sausage Gravy and Buttermilk Biscuits Recipe
- 1 8-ounce package pork sausage
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 recipe Southern Buttermilk Biscuits
- Place sausage in a medium, heavy-bottomed skillet. Break apart with a large wooden spoon and cook over medium heat until it crumbles and is no longer pink, about 3-5 minutes. Remove from skillet with a slotted spoon into a bowl and set aside. Remove all drippings except for about 1 tablespoon from the skillet.
- Whisk in flour into the hot sausage drippings over medium heat until they are smooth.
- Whisk the milk into the flour mixture in the skillet, whisking constantly until thickened, about 5-7 minutes. Stir in the reserved sausage, salt and pepper.
- Serve warm.