Simple chocolate no bake cookies make a perfect sweet treat. Made with cocoa powder, peanut butter, and oats, these no bake cookies are a favorite.
These classic chocolate no bake cookies have been one of my favorite sweet treats since I was a little girl. I remember standing as close as possible at the stove when Mama would make these, just so I could help in any way possible. From pouring in the oats, to carefully stirring as I got a little older. And then, when they were ready to drop onto the parchment paper, I was always eager to have that job!
I can’t begin to tell you how much I loved that my sister gave me the recipe for these cookies along with a saucepan and rolls of parchment paper at my recipe shower before I was married. She wrote a sweet note about wondering how many rolls of parchment paper we’d been through in our lives so far making these chocolate no bake cookies with Mama and how many we’d go through making them with our own children. To tell you I cried would be one of the biggest understatements I could make. Ever.
It was a full blown, running mascara, multiple tissue, ugly sort of moment. At my bridal SHOWER for Pete’s sake! The photos of that shower weren’t pretty at all!
I’ve not kept track of the rolls we’ve been through, but thankfully, Little Buddy carries on the tradition of helping when we make them.
Here’s the recipe for these chocolate no bake cookies. Grab some parchment paper and make them soon!
- 1¾ cups granulated sugar
- ½ cup milk
- 8 tablespoons butter, cut into large pieces
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 cups quick cooking oats
- Add sugar, milk, butter, and cocoa powder to a medium heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil for about three minutes. Remove from heat and stir in peanut butter, vanilla, salt and oats. Drop large scoops of no bake cookies onto parchment paper. Allow to dry for about 10-15 minutes until the no bake cookies have become firm.