This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Apple Dumplings make a fabulous dessert recipe that is a favorite at every event. This delicious apple dumplings recipe is so simple and one you’ll love.
When I hear “apple dumplings,” I immediately think of the Apple Dumpling Gang with one of my very favorite actors of all time, Don Knotts. Do you remember those movies? I remember giggling along with them growing up and now love to watch them with Little Buddy. That Don Knotts is just hilarious! His facial expressions kill me every single time.
But I want to share with you a recipe for apple dumplings that is just as scrumptious as the movie is funny. It’s that good. My sister made it for our family Thanksgiving and brought it to my house. I honestly didn’t think we were going to let her leave with it if there was any left. Talk about wanting to lick your dessert plate. It’s now the dessert we’re requiring her to bring to all family events.
When I asked her where she got the recipe for this heaven on a plate, she told me she got it from Mama!
What? And I’ve not been privileged to this recipe before now?
But, she fiddled with the recipe to make it her own.
Well, I’ll tell ya, I’m very glad she fiddled. She can fiddle anytime if it produces anything remotely as delicious.
And guess what? She gave me the recipe. And you know what that means, don’t you? That means she gave you the recipe, too!
Here’s how she makes her apple dumplings dessert.
Apple Dumplings Dessert
- 4 granny smith apples
- 3 (8-ounce) cans crescent rolls
- 5 ounces Sprite
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups butter 3 sticks + 1 tablespoon for buttering dish
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Peel and slice apples into sixths or eighths depending on the size of the apple.
- Wrap each piece of apple with an individual crescent roll.
- Place in buttered baking dish. Pour Sprite over wrapped apples.
- Melt butter in a medium sauce pan over low to medium heat.
- Add sugars and stir constantly until dissolved. Pour over dumplings.
- Place baking dish onto a kitchen pan with raised edges to catch any spillovers.
- Bake for 35 minutes.
- Remove from oven and spoon sauce over dumplings.
- Bake for 10 more minutes
- Remove from oven and allow to stand to cool for approximately 10 minutes.
- Serve warm.
This apple dumplings dessert recipe is perfect served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. You can also add a pinch of cinnamon on each serving. But whatever you do, make sure you spoon plenty of that warm, sinfully delicious sauce over the top. It just wouldn’t be right if you didn’t.