This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Bacon and Mushroom Quiche makes a wonderful breakfast, brunch, lunch or supper meal. Recipe may easily be made ahead and baked the next morning.
Quiche is actually one of my favorite simple suppers in the world. So filling and comforting, yet easy as pie to make. We love the mini quiche recipe that I shared previously for keeping a stash in the freezer ready to go, but there is something delectable about a fresh from the oven quiche recipe with a flaky crust. And friends, this Bacon and Mushroom quiche is simply amazing!
While I’ve always listed quiche as a breakfast or brunch dish, I have to tell you that my family loves them just as much for a light supper! Served with a side salad, they are just perfect!
What is Quiche?
Quiche is classically a savory dish consisting of a pie crust or tart shell that is filled with a mixture of eggs, milk or cream, cheese and a meat of some sort. More modern quiche recipes also include the option of omitting the crust for a frittata (referred to as a crustless quiche by many).
How to Make Bacon and Mushroom Quiche
For this recipe, you’ll need the following ingredients
- Pie crust – I use my homemade pie crust for this recipe. That pie crust recipe is quick, easy, fool-proof and fabulous! But, you can use a store-bought pie crust if you prefer and if you are making this recipe as a low-carb option, you can simply omit the crust.
- Bacon – This recipe uses bacon that has been cooked and crumbled. I like to use my oven baked bacon and then quickly chop the bacon to include.
- Mushrooms – I use baby portobello mushrooms that have been cleaned and chopped in this recipe. You can also use white mushrooms or your favorite mushroom.
- Eggs – This recipe uses 6 whole eggs.
- Milk or Cream – The recipe calls for heavy cream. You can also lighten the recipe by using whole milk, half-and-half, or even 2% milk. If you need, you can use a dairy-free milk alternative as well.
- Cheese – This recipe calls for cheddar cheese. The flavor combination of the bacon, mushroom and cheddar is a classic. I also have used smoked gouda and we all loved it.
Make Ahead Instructions
Prepare according to the recipe instructions. Allow to cool completely and then wrap well and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Since this quiche recipe includes the protein and vegetables, it really doesn’t need a great deal of side dishes to go with it.
For breakfast or brunch, I love to simply serve this quiche with fresh fruit, coffee and/ or juice.
For lunch or a supper, I love to serve it with a side salad.
Here’s my Bacon and Mushroom Quiche recipe.
Bacon and Mushroom Quiche Recipe
- 1 Pie Crust Recipe
- 5 slices thick-cut bacon cooked and crumbled
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup baby bella mushrooms cleaned and sliced
- 1 cup onion diced
- 6 large eggs beaten
- 1 cup milk heavy cream, half and half, or other dairy option
- 1 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400º F. Place bacon a sheet pan and bake for 15 minutes until crisp. Remove from oven, cool and crumble.
- Reduce heat of oven to 375º F.
- Place pie crust into a deep dish pie plate or tart pan. Set aside.
- Drizzle olive oil into a medium skillet over medium-low heat. Add mushrooms and onions, cooking until just tender. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Whisk together eggs and heavy cream until light and fluffy. Add salt and pepper until well-combined. Stir in bacon crumbles, mushroom and onions, and cheese. Pour into pie shell and bake for for 35-45 minutes until the egg mixture is set. Remove from the oven and let rest 5 minutes before cutting.
- Serve warm.