Bacon jam is made with simple ingredients of bacon, onion, garlic, and other ingredients and then slow cooked for hours. This Bacon Jam recipe is perfect for serving with crusty bread, atop a flakey biscuit and so much more.
There is something so comforting about smearing a bit of bacon jam on toast or dipping a cracker into it or even piling it on top of a grilled chicken. It just makes everything that you serve it with taste so much richer and adds its own signature smokey flavor. It works great as a part of your cheese board as an appetizer or even on a biscuit for breakfast. The possibilities for this delicious bacon jam are just endless!
Bacon Jam Recipe
While you might think that bacon has been a bit overdone in so many recipes lately, and I might tend to agree with you just a bit, this recipe doesn’t leave you thinking, “oh gosh, another bacon recipe.” It does, however, leave you with this deep rich condiment that tastes like the perfect marriage of sweet and spicy, tart and savory all in one bite. And just wait until you spread this on a hot biscuit!
I’ve found that this is the perfect way to spread all that bacon-love around that is a bit budget friendly since it makes a generous amount of bacon jam that will last and last when stored properly.
How to Make It
You will start with your favorite bacon and cook it on medium heat in large skillet until it’s lightly browned. Transfer cooked bacon to paper towel lined plate to drain and set aside.
Then pour off the bacon fat, leaving a little in the skillet. Place garlic and onions in skillet and cook until onions are tender and clear. Add other ingredients to onion / garlic mixture. Bring to boil. Then stir in bacon pieces and remove from heat. Pour mixture into slow cooker and cook, uncovered, on high setting for 6 1/2 hours or until liquid forms a syrup.
After it cooks, transfer to food processor or blender and pulse until it the consistency you want. Let cool completely and store in an airtight container for up to four weeks in the refrigerator.
How to Serve It
This delicious jam is so good in so many ways. I love to make it to serve with as part of a cheese or charcuterie board. It’s a great appetizer served with my Southern Pimento Cheese and with breakfast on my Buttermilk Biscuits. And get ready to impress your family and friends when you serve this with grilled chicken or make Bacon Jam Pork Chops.
I can’t wait for you to try this!
Here’s my bacon jam recipe. I hope you give it a try and love it as much as we do!
Bacon Jam Recipe
- 1 1/2 pounds bacon cut into 1 inch pieces
- 3 medium onions finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic finely diced
- 1/2 cup brown sugar packed
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 3/4 cup strong brewed coffee
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- Cook bacon on medium heat in large skillet until lightly browned. Transfer cooked bacon to paper towel lined plate to drain. Set aside.
- Pour off bacon fat, leaving 1 1/2 tablespoons in skillet. Place garlic and onions in skillet and cook over medium heat until onions are tender and clear. Add brown sugar, cumin, cayenne, coffee, vinegar, and maple syrup to onion / garlic mixture. Bring to boil. Stir in bacon pieces and remove from heat. Pour mixture into slow cooker and cook, uncovered, on high setting for 6 1/2 hours or until liquid forms a syrup. Transfer to food processor or blender and pulse until it reaches the desired consistency. Let cool completely and store in an airtight container for up to four weeks in the refrigerator.