Blue Velvet Cake Recipe
Baby showers are so fun, aren’t they? You ooh and aah over the cutest baby clothes in pastel shades, ogle over the new fangled baby gear and how much it has changed since your baby showers, and then play shower games that can get just a wee bit crazy when they involve guessing how many inches around the pregnant belly is. They also always have a mighty impressive spread of food.
But have you ever attended a virtual baby shower?
They include all of the cool parts of a baby shower without the measuring tape even making an appearance!
Today, I’m part of a group of friends hosting a fun baby shower for my friend, Jenny of Picky-Palate.com. I have a feeling you may have heard of Jenny and her fabulous blog.
She is a genius at creating mouth-watering recipes and her first cookbook is available for pre-order now. I can’t wait to see what all her book has in store. I feel certain it will be fabulous, knowing Jenny! In addition to being a wonder at recipe development, she is as sweet as they come.
Since Jenny is having her third little boy, I knew just what I wanted to bring to her shower. Not any ol’ thing would do.
I made Blue Velvet Cake! From scratch!
Cake is always a favorite part of any shower and I wanted it to have a surprise inside when you cut it.
Unexpected, vibrant, and perfect for a little boy.
Blue Velvet Cake has all of the great taste of the more traditional Red Velvet Cake, but with such a fun twist that everyone will remember it.
- ½ cup Crisco
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ounce royal blue gel paste food color
- 2 drops violet gel paste food color
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 scant teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease and flour 3 8-inch round cake pans.
- Cream Crisco and sugar together until light and fluffy, about three minutes. Add eggs one at a time, completely incorporating after each addition.
- In a small bowl, make a paste of food coloring and cocoa and add to mixture.
- Stir together flour and salt in a separate medium bowl, set aside.
- Pour buttermilk and vanilla into a measuring cup, set aside.
- Alternately, add flour mixture and buttermilk mixture into Crisco/sugar mixture, beginning and ending with flour. Scrape down sides of mixing bowl to ensure all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Reduce speed of mixer and stir in baking soda, making sure incorporated into batter. Then, stir in the vinegar, taking care not to beat hard or over mix.
- Distribute cake batter evenly into the three cake pans. Bake for 25 minutes or until cakes have gently pulled away from the edges of the cake pans and a cake tester or toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean..
- Cool cake thoroughly before frosting.
Notes: I used Americolor Soft Gel Paste in Royal Blue and Violet. You may also want to try a natural-based food coloring.
Now, I hope you’ll visit Jenny and wish her all the best with her upcoming bundle of joy!
Please be sure to check out all of the other amazing things shared for Jenny’s Shower.
Baby Shower Treats
Amanda: i am baker – Special Cake for a “Picky Palate”
Amanda: Kevin and Amanda – Cinnamon Blueberry Biscoff Breakfast Cookies
Angie: Bakerella – Baby Faces
Averie: Averie Cooks – Chocolate Banana and Biscoff Graham Bars
Bev: Bev Cooks – Horseradish Deviled Eggs
Bridget: Bake at 350 – Cute as a Button Cupcakes
Cheryl: TidyMom – Salted Caramel Cupcakes
Gaby: Whats Gaby Cooking – Blueberry Buttermilk Cake
Heather: Heather’s Dish – Perfect Pancake Bites
Julie: The Little Kitchen – Mixed Berry Mint Slushies
Kathy: Panini Happy – Baby Oreo Ice Cream Pies
Kristan: Confessions of a Cookbook Queen – Homemade Animal Crackers
Lauren: Lauren’s Latest – Mini Chocolate Lava Cakes
Lori: Recipe Girl – Oreo and Caramel Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
Maria: Two Peas and Their Pod – Cookies ‘n Cream Sheet Cake
Marion: Sweetopia – Baby Shower Cookie Favors
Marla: Family Fresh Cooking – Blueberry Mint Agua Fresca
Michelle: Brown Eyed Baker – Shrimp Nacho Bites
Naomi: Baker’s Royale – Chocolate and Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Trifles
Recipe Boy: Chocolate Dipped Peanut Butter Cup Stuffed Oreos
Robyn: Add a Pinch – Blue Velvet Cake
Shaina: Food For My Family – Ginger Plum Preserves
Shelly: Cookies and Cups – Oreo Pop Baby Rattles
From the looks of it, Jenny’s shower is going to be mighty sweet! Enjoy!