This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Broccoli Cheese Soup makes a comforting, delicious homemade soup perfect for lunch or supper. Get this easy broccoli cheese soup recipe the whole family will love.
Broccoli Cheese Soup makes one of those soup recipes that I crave, especially during cooler weather and on bitterly cold days like today. Full of broccoli and cheddar cheese, it is a soup that definitely comforts and, thankfully, it is one that my whole family loves!
Whenever possible, I love to dice a little bit of leftover cooked ham to toss it into my broccoli cheese soup, too. It really just takes it right over the top. I decided to rework my family’s recipe and use the base from our broccoli cheese casserole for this soup a few years back and since I made that change, this has been my go-to for sure! I think you’ll love it, too!
Broccoli Cheese Soup Recipe
How to Make Broccoli Cheese Soup
To make my broccoli cheese soup, I begin by adding my butter, onion, and garlic in a large, heavy bottomed Dutch oven over medium heat. I cook until the onions have become tender and translucent and the garlic is fragrant, about 3 to 5 minutes. Then, I whisk in my flour and cook until the flour has gently browned, about 5 more minutes.
Next, I slowly whisk in my milk, half and half, salt, pepper and cayenne pepper. I then stir in my broccoli florets and chicken stock, reduce the heat to medium-low and allow the soup to simmer until the broccoli is cooked throughout, is tender, and is easily pierced with a fork, about 25 – 30 more minutes.
Then, I stir in 1 cup of my cheese, being sure to reserve some of the cheese for adding on top of the soup when serving and if I am including ham, I add it in now as well.
I love big, chunky bites of broccoli, onion, and when included, ham, in this soup, but you can easily use an immersion blender or toss it all into your blender or food processor to make as smooth as you prefer.
Here’s my Broccoli Cheese Soup recipe. It’s perfect for lunch or supper. Hope you love it.
Broccoli Cheese Soup Recipe
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups half and half
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 (12.5 - ounce) packages frozen broccoli florets or 2 heads broccoli, cut into florets
- 4 cups chicken stock or broth
- 2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 cups cooked ham diced (optional)
- Place butter, onion, and garlic in a large, heavy-bottomed stock pot over medium heat. Cook until onions are translucent, about 3-5 minutes. Whisk in flour and cook another five minutes. Whisk in milk, half and half, salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper. Stir in broccoli florets and chicken stock. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 25-30 minutes, until broccoli has cooked through and is fork-tender. Stir in 1 cup of cheese, reserving remaining cheese for sprinkling on top of each bowl as served and ham, if using.
From the Add a Pinch Recipe archives. Originally published 2014