This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Caramel and the holidays go together perfectly and this Caramel Pie is no exception.
With caramel made from scratch, it really is hard to resist a slice. Rich and dense, the flavors of buttery caramel are pronounced in every single bite. It is definitely a caramel lovers dream pie and not for the faint of heart.
Although this caramel pie is a bit time consuming, it is worth the effort. You’ll start by baking a pie crust and setting it aside to cool. As it is cooling, begin making your caramel. Be sure to keep all other distractions at bay – such as the telephone or having to run an errand – while making the caramel as nothing is more disappointing than caramel that doesn’t turn out right when you are making a dessert.
Once you’ve made your caramel filling, pour it into the prepared pie crust, cover with a piece of plastic wrap pressed to the top of the pie and refrigerate for a few hours to allow the caramel filling to firm. Once ready to serve, remove the plastic wrap and allow to warm for about 15 minutes before topping with dollops of very lightly sweetened whipped cream and serving.
Served with a warm cup of coffee, this caramel pie will certainly be a memorable addition to your holiday dessert selection.
Here’s the recipe for my Caramel Pie.
Caramel Pie Recipe
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place pie crust into pie plate and bake for 8 minutes. Remove pie crust from oven and set aside.
- To prepare the caramel pie filling, add brown sugar, flour, salt, milk, half and half, and egg yolks to a heavy bottomed, 3-4 quart saucepan over medium heat. Whisk together to combine continue to whisk until thick and creamy. Remove from the heat, add vanilla extract.
- Add granulated sugar and butter to a small skillet over medium heat. Stir constantly until the sugar has melted and caramelized. Slowly pour, whisking as you do, into the warm cream mixture until well combined.
- Pour into prepared pie crust and allow to cool for about 10 minutes. Place a piece of plastic wrap onto the caramel portion of the pie and place into the refrigerator for 1-3 hours to overnight to allow the pie to firm.
- When ready to serve, remove the pie from the refrigerator and carefully remove the plastic wrap from the top of the caramel.
- As the pie is resting, pour whipping cream and granulated sugar into a medium glass bowl. Whip until stiff peaks have formed in the whipping cream. Use to top the caramel pie.
- Store pie in the refrigerator to keep the caramel firm.
For even more caramel deliciousness, you may enjoy: