This Cheesy Chicken Burritos recipe makes a favorite meal. Filled with chicken, cheese, and vegetables, this is a burrito recipe you’ll love serving!
As soon as the RV stopped long enough in the driveway for me to fling the door open and run into the house, Little Buddy and I were in a foot race.
It was a pretty funny looking sight.
An eight year old and a… ahem… not an eight year old racing toward the front door of the house. Little Buddy was in hot pursuit of checking on his room, his animals (the indoor variety), and most importantly – his playing room.
Me, well, I couldn’t wait to see my kitchen. It took me a little while to get it straightened up from where our house sitter had left the mail for us, notes, keys, etc. Once that not so little task was tackled, I couldn’t wait to get started cooking. To heck with all of that laundry I needed to get going from our trip. It could wait. I’d missed my kitchen.
Oh my goodness. This is one of those recipes that is simply delicious. Scrumptious. Delectable. Okay, you get my point – it’s good.
Start with boneless, skinless chicken breasts and boil them until tender. Then chop the chicken into bite sized pieces.
Next, melt two tablespoons of butter in a skillet or saute pan. Then add two minced shallots (or you could use one small onion) to the melted butter and saute.
Dice up one green bell pepper and add to the shallots in your pan.
Yum, your kitchen will be smelling pretty heavenly at this point.
Rough chop two large portabello mushrooms and add to the shallots and bell pepper.
Let it all just cook together for a little while until tender.
Doesn’t that look delicious already?
Combine your chicken and your shallots, bell pepper, and mushrooms into a bowl. Now add in one can cream of mushroom soup and one can of Rotel tomatoes and peppers (drained) and mix well.
You can control the amount of heat from the spice through the type of Rotel you include. Ours was medium and delicious.
Place about one cup of mixture in the center of a large tortilla. Top with a sprinkle of Mexican blend shredded cheese.
Fold the bottom of tortilla over the mixture.
Fold the top of the tortilla over. Go ahead, give that hand a work out!
Now fold the left side over. You’re almost there!
Fold the right side over.
For some reason, this reminds me of when Little Buddy was a baby and we would swaddle him. We would say he looked like a little burrito. Same concept. Wrap it up tight.
Place seam side down in baking dish. Now bake them at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
Top with another little sprinkle of shredded cheese and bake for five more minutes until the cheese has melted.
Serve with sour cream and guacamole and plan on wearing your stretchy pants for dinner. You’ll thank me for the stretchy pants advice.
I made three for our family for our meal today and made five more and froze them for another meal.
It will be a delicious hot meal sometime when we’ve been out and about doing stuff and we come home starving to death. Or even on a day when my husband wants to grab a quick lunch while working out on the farm.
Even though his tractor is airconditioned, he still winds up sweating bullets when he’s out there on it all day. Those are the days I’m sure he’d really like something hearty like these Cheesy Chicken Burritos for lunch.
Cheesy Chicken Burritos Recipe
- 4 skinless boneless chicken breasts
- 1 small onion
- 1 bell pepper
- 2 portabello mushrooms
- 1 1/2 cups Cream of Chicken Soup
- 1 can Rotel tomatoes and peppers drained
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- 3 cups Mexican blend shredded cheese
- 8 large tortillas
- Boil chicken until tender. Approximately 30 minutes.
- Chop chicken into bite sized pieces.
- Melt butter in skillet or saute pan and saute diced shallots, bell pepper, and mushrooms until tender.
- Combine chicken, shallots, pepper and mushroom mixture with cream of chicken soup and Rotel.
- Place approximately 1 cup of mixture into center of tortilla.
- Wrap into burrito and place into baking dish. Repeat until all burritos have been made. Bake in 350 degree oven for 35 minutes, removing from oven at 30 minutes to top with cheese and return to oven for last 5 minutes.
- Wrap tightly in foil.
- To bake: thaw in the refrigerator overnight and then bake as instructed.
- If frozen, bake at 350º for 1 hour.