Chicken Strips are one of my son’s favorite meals. They have since he was just a toddler.
Since he was just a wee little fella, he’s definitely ordered a fair number of chicken strips from the children’s menu whenever we visit a restaurant. But, of all the chicken fingers he’s eaten in these eleven years, his favorite are those I make for him at him.
And that makes this Mama extremely happy.
Luckily, they are super simple to make at home for lunch, supper, or snacking for watching the game, etc. Serve them with a side of Comeback Sauce, honey mustard dressing, or blue cheese dip and you’ve got some really happy folks in your house, I’m sure.
Here’s my Chicken Strips Recipe. I hope you love it.
Chicken Strips Recipe
- 3 - 4 skinless boneless chicken breasts
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon Sriracha sauce or cayenne pepper
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- Preheat oven to 375º F.
- Butterfly chicken breasts by cutting in half lengthwise. Then, cut halves into strips, making about 6 - 8 strips per chicken breast.
- Pour buttermilk into a shallow dish to be used for the wet portion of dredging chicken. Add Sriracha sauce and cayenne pepper and whisk together to combine with a fork.
- Add flour, thyme, cayenne pepper, seasoned salt, and black pepper to another shallow dish to be used for the dry portion of dredging. Whisk together with a clean fork.
- Dip chicken strips into buttermilk mixture and then into the flour mixture, making sure each chicken strip is well-coated. Place onto a kitchen sheet pan to rest while preparing for cooking.
- Pour canola oil into 10- or 12-inch skillet over medium heat. Allow to heat until the oil begins to shimmer slightly and when water is dropped into the skillet, it sizzles.
- Place chicken strips, about 3 to 5 depending on the size of the skillet, into the skillet with heated oil and cook until chicken strips are browned on one side, about 3 minutes, and then turn to cook on the other side. Cook for about 3 more minutes on the other side. Remove chicken and place onto a clean kitchen sheet pan until all chicken strips have been browned.
- Place kitchen sheet pan into the preheated oven and cook for about 12-18 minutes until the juices of the chicken run clear when pricked with a sharp knife. Allow to rest for about 3 minutes before serving.