This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Chocolate Heritage Frosting is now one of my new favorite frosting recipes. It goes perfectly with my Chocolate Velvet Cake and with so many other cake and cupcake recipes.
Mind you that Heritage Frosting is different from other frosting recipes as it begins with cooking flour and milk and then allowing to cool before creaming together with the remaining ingredients.
Heritage frosting is the frosting my mother always topped our red velvet cakes with growing up and would use on her chocolate cupcakes. I just knew a chocolate version would quickly become a favorite for my family with its signature light and creamy texture.
Here’s my Chocolate Heritage Frosting Recipe.
Chocolate Heritage Frosting Recipe
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk room temperature
- 2 cups unsalted butter softened
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cook flour and milk over medium high heat until thickened, approximately three minutes. Remove from heat and cool completely. After flour and milk mixture has cooled, cream together butter, sugar, and cocoa until light and fluffy, about three minutes.
- Add flour and milk mixture to butter mixture and beat until it has reached a whipped cream consistency. Add vanilla and beat one additional minute.