This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Cinnamon Muffins are an easy yet elegant muffin recipe! Topped with a simple streusel topping, these muffins are perfect for entertaining and make your home smell amazing as they bake!
These muffins immediately make me want to reach for a snuggly blanket, a good book, and a cup of hot coffee or a warm mug of hot chocolate. They just feel so warm and comforting that you want to soak up everything about them – not to mention that they make your house smell absolutely fabulous and like a home where you’d imagine someone is up baking them well before the sun rises.
Which isn’t me. I’ve never particularly been a morning person. My creative juices begin flowing late in the afternoon and continue on late into the evening. There was a time that I tried to force myself to go to bed early so that I would naturally wake up earlier and somehow train my brain to switch into gear much earlier by default. For months I’d start winding down around 9 pm so that hopefully I’d be asleep by 10 pm.
For months it didn’t happen.
I’d toss and turn and twist and throw back covers, only to pull them right back up again. I’d punch my pillows, rearrange them over and over again thinking that if I could find the magical position of my pillow, I’d immediately be off to sweet dreams.
That position eluded me. It still eludes me.
But, when I bake these muffins in the mornings, I could care less that my mind doesn’t switch off until at least 2 am and that my best sleep is about 6 am when I technically should be bounding out of the bed excited for another day. Instead, I’m dragging the covers back up trying to catch just five more minutes.
Since they take about 30 minutes to bake, I like to pop them into the oven and then head off to get ready while they are baking. Otherwise, I’d totally be searching out a blanket and book and curling up for a lazy morning.
The cinnamon muffins are based off of my favorite cinnamon apple muffins recipe that we absolutely adore. I traded the coating of cinnamon sugar on the outside of the muffins for a simple streusel topping that is so simple to make.
Here’s my Cinnamon Muffins Recipe. I hope you enjoy them as much as we do!
Cinnamon Muffins Recipe
For the Cinnamon Muffins
For the Streusel Topping
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/4 cup (4 tablespoons ) butter , room temperature
- Preheat oven to 375º F. Spray muffin tins with bakers spray or coat well with shortening or butter and flour, making sure to discard any excess flour from the tins after coating.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Cream together butter and sugar until lightened in color, about 3 minutes. Add an egg, one at a time, taking care to fully incorporate before adding the other. Mix in vanilla.
- Gently fold in flour mixture, alternating with milk. Stir until just combined. Scoop mixture into prepared muffin tins, filling about 2/3 to ¾ full.
- For the topping, mix together brown sugar, flour, oats and butter until about pea-sized crumbles form. Top the muffin batter with the streusel topping.
- Bake the muffins until a toothpick or skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean, about 30 minutes.
- Once muffins have baked, remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly in the muffin tin. Then, remove each muffin to a serving plate or stand.