This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Coconut macaroons bars are like crisp, crunchy, and chewy coconut macaroons on a buttery shortbread crust.
I made these bars to take to my mother-in-law’s this past weekend for lunch. Since that side of the family has grown with three weddings over the last three years and half of the grandchildren being college-aged or older, it can be a bit more difficult for everyone to be able to come back to his parents’ house on Christmas Eve so she began planning for a time when everyone could get together before Christmas. It can be a chore to arrange a time for 37 people who live in multiple states to all be together at one time, but I am so thankful that she does!
To make these bars, I started with my shortbread crust recipe and pre-baked it until it was nice and golden brown. While it baked, I mixed the ingredients for the coconut macaroons portion together. Once the crust was ready, I spread the macaroons mixture over the crust and baked it until it was lightly toasted. Once it cooled, I drizzled on melted chocolate and caramel sauce. Of course those are optional, but they sure to make these bars even more delicious, I think!
Here’s my Coconut Macaroons Bars recipe. I think you’ll love them!
Coconut Macaroons Bars Recipe
- shortbread crust recipe
- 2 egg whites
- 1 (14-ounce) package flaked coconut
- 1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch salt
- 1/4 cup caramel sauce optional
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips melted, optional
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Mix together ingredients for shortbread crust recipe and press into a 9×13 rimmed baking pan. Bake 12-15 minutes, until golden brown. Remove from the oven. Reduce oven temperature to 325º F.
- While crust is baking, beat egg whites on high speed until fluffy. Reduce speed and stir in coconut, condensed milk vanilla and pinch of salt. Spread onto baked crust and bake for 12 minutes or until set and coconut begins to turn light brown. Remove from oven and drizzle caramel and chocolate sauces over, if using.
Did you make this recipe?
Mention @addapinch or tag #addapinch!
Share it with the world!
Macaroons Bars!? I am in love with these!
They are out of this world, Tori! I hope you enjoy them!
This is a fantastic twist on macaroons!
Thanks so much, Gaby! We adore them this way!
Macaroons—-be still my heart. I love these! I have never had them in bars. AWESOME!
Do you use regular or sweetened coconut?