Grilled cheese is one of my favorite go to sandwiches of all time. So easy. So comforting.
And French Onion Soup is one of my favorite soups, too.
So, the other night, I decided to have a little soup and sandwich combo of sorts.
I knew if I was making the soup and having a grilled cheese to go with it, I didn’t want to add the bread and cheese to the soup. As much as I love bread and cheese, even I know when to back off just a touch.
So, I decided to make my grilled cheese as if it were the bread and cheese from the soup.
Sounds logical enough, right?
Just the staples here. Bread, butter, and two cheeses – Gruyere and Monterey Jack.
I first tried all Gruyere, but decided the flavor was way overpowering for a grilled cheese in my opinion. My second attempt, I added Monterey Jack cheese to make the perfect blend.
But then, I wanted the flavors of the soup without overpowering it, so I tossed in a bit of fresh thyme.
Oh my goodness gracious.
Fresh herbs and grilled cheese just go together now.
Why hadn’t I thought of that before!?
Believe me. I will from now on. The possibilities are endless.
Here’s my fancy dancy Grilled Cheese recipe. I’ve shared my French Onion Soup recipe previously. I just omitted the bread and cheese, and therefore the whole broiling step.
Grilled Cheese with Thyme Recipe
- 4 slices bread
- 1/2 cup grated Gruyere cheese
- 1 cup grated monterey jack cheese
- fresh thyme
- Assemble each sandwich by layering 1/4 cup Gruyere cheese and 1/2 cup of Monterrey Jack on one slice of bread. Sprinkle with a little fresh thyme, about 1/4 teaspoon per sandwich. Top with another slice of bread and gently press down on the sandwich with the palm of your hand.
- Heat a buttered skillet or griddle over medium-low heat.
- Place grilled cheese onto skillet or griddle and cook until lightly toasted, about 3 minutes per side.
- Remove from skillet or griddle and cut in half.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
What is it about a simple grilled cheese that can make you so happy?