This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This Key Lime Pie Recipe is deliciously tart, airy, light and refreshing! An easy, updated version of a classic recipe, this is simply the best key lime pie ever! Such an elegant dessert that is always a favorite!
Key Lime Pie is one of my husband’s favorite pies. For years, I professed that I didn’t particularly care for it. I always thought they were a bit too dense and either too tart or not tart enough. I’m picky, but I thought there had to be a fine balance and wanted an updated version of the classic.
So, I experimented until I created absolutely the best key lime pie I’ve ever tasted!
Favorite Key Lime Pie Recipe
After experimenting with various changes in the method of making a this classic pie, along with subtle changes in the ingredients, I finally achieved a lighter, fluffier pie. It’s pure perfection in my opinion, as well as those to whom I’ve served it. It’s now my go-to key lime pie recipe.
How did I create this updated version of this pie?
How to Make Key Lime Pie
Well for one, I use the whole egg.
While the egg yolks give the key lime pie such richness, the egg whites help to give the pie a lift. It alters the texture from a dense, thick custard to a silky, cloud-like confection. It might not be for everyone, but everyone that I’ve served it to has absolutely raved about it.
The second thing I do is add in a bit of zest from the limes. Along with the lime juice in the recipe, the fresh lime zest amps up the lime flavor and makes the pie a whole lot more interesting and well, zesty!
Another important part of this pie is my easy homemade Graham Cracker Crust recipe. It’s simple to make, but if you are short on time you can always use one from the store. I just think homemade crust is so much tastier!
Along with adorning the pie with fresh lime slices, this pie would not be complete without topping it with my Perfect Whipped Cream. It is the crowing glory to this airy, light and zesty dessert that you really don’t want to miss.
This pie is perfect anytime, but I especially love to serve it in the warmer months of the year. It’s one of the most refreshing desserts and always a hit. I really do believe it’s the best and hope you think so too!
More Favorite Pies
I have many pie recipes and some to enjoy during any season or holiday. But here are a few more I love to serve during spring and summer, especially!
Coconut Cream Pie – a coconut lover’s dream!
Strawberry Pie – perfect for fresh strawberries!
Instant Pot Oreo Cheesecake – cool, creamy and easy to make!
Here’s my update to the classic Key Lime Pie Recipe. Give it a try sometime soon. I really think you’ll like the changes!
Key Lime Pie Recipe
for the whipped cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325º F.
- Whisk egg yolk, sweetened condensed milk, lime juice, lime zest, and lemon juice in a large bowl until well-combined.
- Beat egg whites with an electric mixture until they begin to foam. Gradually add in granulated sugar and beat until light and fluffy and soft peaks have formed. Gently fold into egg yolk mixture and carefully spoon into the prepared graham cracker crust.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until lightly browned and set throughout. Remove from the oven and chill on a wire rack. Lightly cover and place in the refrigerator to chill for at least 8 hours.
- For serving, remove from springform pan, if using, and top with whipped cream and lime slices. Slice and serve.
- Top with the whipped cream, if using.
From the Add a Pinch recipe archives. Originally published 2011.