Key Lime Shortbread Bars. These bars are made of a sweet and tart key lime layer topping a sweet shortbread crust that you can easily cut into bars. So easy and delicious and perfect for parties!
Key lime pie has always been one of those desserts that my husband immediately picks on a dessert menu. He inherited his love for it from his father. Light and fluffy, sweet with enough tart that it makes your mouth pucker just a bit, I have to admit I love it just as much as they do.
And these key lime shortbread bars?
You better believe they are a definite favorite. That pillowy key lime layer tops a sweet shortbread crust that you can easily cut into bars for serving. I love that it makes 15 delicious bars perfect for parties and get togethers. Here’s my Key Lime Shortbread Bars recipe. I think you’ll enjoy them as much as we do!
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- ½ cup key lime juice
- zest of 2 limes
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- lime slices (optional)
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon confectioner's sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Mix together butter, flour, and confectioner’s sugar. Press into the bottom of a 9×13-inch baking pan. Bake for approximately 12-15 minutes, or until lightly golden brown.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before filling.
- Reduce oven to 325º F.
- Whisk egg yolk, sweetened condensed milk, lime juice, lime zest, and lemon juice in a large bowl until well-combined.
- Beat egg whites with an electric mixture until they begin to foam. Gradually add in granulated sugar and beat until light and fluffy and soft peaks have formed. Gently fold into egg yolk mixture and carefully spread onto completely cooled shortbread crust.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until set throughout. Remove from the oven and chill on a wire rack. Lightly cover and place in the refrigerator to chill for at least 8 hours.
- For serving, cut into squares and top with whipped cream and lime slices or lime peeling slivers.
- Add heavy cream into a large bowl. Beat on high speed until it begins to thicken. Slowly add in confectioner's sugar while beating on high speed. Add vanilla extract and continue beating until stiff peaks form.