This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Lemon Blueberry Breakfast Cake Recipe – This breakfast cake recipe features tart lemon and fresh, sweet blueberries in a delicious, easy recipe.
I had to sneak a picture of this before my family knew it was out of the oven. When they know that a Lemon Blueberry Breakfast Cake is happening, they get a bit antsy for it to be ready to eat.
I completely understand. It was pretty hard to just sneak nibbles of the crumbs as I cut a piece for a photo, but I knew if I didn’t get a photo before serving this cake that I most likely wouldn’t be able to get one.
Seriously. This stuff disappears pretty quickly.
And it couldn’t be any easier to make. Promise.
It is a simple wonder of a cake and doesn’t take anytime at all to whip up for baking.
Little Buddy asked me why I call this breakfast cake when it really can be eaten any time of day. I wish I’d had an intelligent answer for him, but honestly, I didn’t. I have no clue other than when I think of this lemon blueberry cake, I think of breakfast. Of course you could have it any time of day, and we have, but it sure is pretty amazing first thing in the morning.
It could just as easily be called Lemon Blueberry Coffee Cake or Lemon Blueberry Anytime Cake or just Lemon Blueberry Cake – you get the drift. But, well, I committed to calling it a breakfast cake and so from now on that’s what I’ll call it around here.
Even when I make it in the middle of the afternoon.
Here’s the recipe for my Lemon Blueberry Breakfast Cake.
Lemon Blueberry Breakfast Cake Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 1 zest and juice lemon
- 8 tablespoons melted butter 1 stick
- 3 large eggs
For the Topping
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Spray a 9x13 baking dish with nonstick baking spray or spread with a thin coating of butter and then lightly flour the pan, removing any excess flour.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together 2 cups of flour, baking powder, salt, and sugars until well-combined.
- Combine milk and lemon juice and zest in a separate bowl. Set aside for later use.
- Pour melted butter into dry ingredients and stir together until really well-combined with a rubber spatula. Add eggs one at a time, combining well after each addition.
- Add milk and lemon mixture to the batter and stir well.
- Gently fold in blueberries. Pour batter into prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle blueberries from the topping ingredients onto the top of the cake batter. Then, sprinkle entire top of cake with 3 tablespoons of granulated sugar to form a sugary crust on the baked cake.
- Bake cake for 40-45 minutes until a cake tester or toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool completely, about 15-20 minutes before serving.
- Store cake slices in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
I hope you enjoy it whenever you eat it!