This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Lemon curd makes a delicious addition to so many desserts and toppings. This easy to make lemon curd recipe will become a favorite.
Homemade lemon curd is delicious in my recipe for lemon curd cake with lemon cream cheese frosting, in cupcakes, thumbprint cookies, lemon bars, with scones and so many other goodies. And I promise, once you make your lemon curd, you’ll think of tons of uses for it. If you are like me, you’ll be making lemon curd pretty often when you get your hands on some Meyer lemons.
Making homemade lemon curd is not nearly as complicated as it may sound. You just have to be sure not to walk away from the stove like I did the first time I made it years ago. I totally scrambled that lemon curd! Lesson learned.
I like a rich lemon curd, full of sweet and sour bite. Also, you can adjust the amount of sugar and lemon to your personal preference. This is the ratio that I prefer the most. However, be sure you do not skip the step of straining your curd. It makes all the difference!
Here’s how I make it.
Lemon Curd Recipe
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- lemon zest optional
- 1/4 cup butter diced and chilled
- pinch salt
- Whisk together eggs and sugar in a medium saucepan over low heat.
- Add lemon juice and stir constantly until coats the back of a wooden spoon.
- Pour through a fine sieve strainer into a large glass bowl.
- Add the optional lemon zest and combine.
- Add one tablespoon of chilled butter at a time and stir until completely melted. Add salt and stir to combine.
- Cover curd with plastic wrap directly on top of the curd and refrigerate for one hour up to a few days.
Did you make this recipe?
Mention @addapinch or tag #addapinch!
Share it with the world!
EXCELLENCE! I knew this would be good.
Hello Robyn!☺ I just made your recipe for lemon curd. I did add some zest as well to make that lemon pop. I just had to taste it before putting it in the refrigerator for an hour. DELICIOUS! A sunshiny lemony flavor exploding in my mouth. Thanks for the recipe. God bless and keep you.❤
Andrea, thank you. I’m glad you like that lemon flavor as much as I do.