This one pot mexican quinoa recipe is perfect for busy weeknights and easy weekends! On the table in 30 minutes, this is an easy dish that the whole family will love!
I hope you guys will forgive me for not sharing a Christmas confection of some sort or another today, but since Add a Pinch is built on recipes that I make for my family, I didn’t think you’d mind me sharing this absolutely amazing one pot dish we’ve been loving. With all the baking I’ve been doing lately, it’s nice to have something quick and easy for supper that I know my whole family will love. I remembered a dish that I had when we were on the cruise in October and decided that rather than using pasta in the dish, I’d use quinoa instead.
For this one pot wonder, I began by browning ground turkey, but you could also use a lean ground beef or ground chicken if you’d like. Of course, you could also leave out the meat if you’d prefer to make this an all veggie dish. I also saute onion and garlic with a good dose of cumin for deep flavor. To that base, I add crushed tomatoes, corn, black beans, jalapeno, and quinoa. The quinoa absorbs a lot of the liquid from the ingredients as it cooks, so I also add a bit of chicken stock. If you are going the complete veggie route, you can easily use vegetable stock or even water.
From start to finish, this dish is ready to top with chopped avocado and for serving.
Here’s my One Pot Mexican Quinoa Recipe. I think you’ll love it!
One Pot Mexican Quinoa Recipe
- 1 pound ground turkey, chicken, or lean ground beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 (15-ounce) can whole kernel corn, , drained and rinsed
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 jalapeno pepper, deseeded and diced
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock or broth, or broth
- 1 avocado, diced
- Brown ground meat in a stockpot over medium heat. Drain and return cooked meat to stockpot.
- Add onion, garlic and cumin and cook until the onion is just tender. Stir in corn, bean, tomatoes, jalapeno, quinoa, and chicken stock.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover the stockpot and allow to cook until the quinoa becomes tender and the ingredients have thickened, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve with diced avocado.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
Disclosure: I was a guest of Princess Cruises.