This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Crispy onion rings recipe made with a buttermilk batter and deep fried for perfect, crunchy onion rings.
Onion rings make one of my favorite recipes. They are perfect as an appetizer on game day, alongside a burger or just as a snack. I love ’em.
This onion rings recipe uses a wet, buttermilk batter and then they are deep fried to golden perfection. You can use a deep cast iron skillet or fryer or even a deep fryer for making large quantities for a crowd.
Carefully drop your onion rings into the batter and drop into your fryer.
Place as many rings as will fit without touching one another as they cook.
Allow to cook until golden brown on one side, flip with tongs and cook on the other.
Remove from the fryer with tongs and place on wire rack or paper to drain. If possible, drain on a brown paper bag as it seems to absorb more of the grease and doesn’t “steam” the onion ring while draining.
Serve warm with your favorite ketchup, mustards, or other sauces.
Here’s my onion rings recipe. They are delicious!
Onion Rings Recipe
- Prepare onions and place into a deep casserole dish or bowl. Pour buttermilk over and allow to soak in the refrigerator from 4 hours to overnight for best results.
- Preheat deep fryer, deep skillet or heavy-bottomed large stockpot with oil to 360 degrees.
- Combine flour, salt, peppers, sugar, egg, and buttermilk until well-combined.
- Dip onion rings into batter and then drop into fryer.
- Allow to cook on both sides until golden brown – about 3-6 minutes.
- Remove from fryer with tongs and allow to drain.
- Serve warm.