Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes Recipe
Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes are a delicious, creamy addition to any meal and make special occasions even more delectable. Make ahead instructions included!
Okay, you probably guessed these were coming, didn’t you? With my recent post on how to roast garlic, I feel sure you felt this headed your way. Well, now I’m going to get all bossy on you, too. Because, well, you really, really, really need to try these roasted garlic mashed potatoes.
Life just wouldn’t be the same without them. I swear.
I can’t imagine a Thanksgiving meal or serving a pot roast without having these on the table. The recipe is scalable so that you can easily cut it in half if you aren’t serving twelve for Thanksgiving or you can easily double it if you plan on having an even larger crowd.
For me personally, I like to cook a full recipe so that I know I have plenty in the refrigerator to go along with any leftovers.
So, here’s to roasted garlic mashed potatoes with butter on top!
- 5 pounds Russet or Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 stick butter, melted + 2 tablespoons cut into pieces
- ¾ cup half and half
- cloves from about 2 bulbs of roasted garlic
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1½ teaspoons freshly ground pepper
- Place potatoes into large saucepan and add enough water to cover, plus about 1 inch. Cook over medium-low heat until fork tender, about 15-20 minutes.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter, add half and half and roasted garlic. Heat until simmering.
- Drain potatoes and pour potatoes back into saucepan used to cook them. Mash potatoes over low heat until smooth. Add the melted butter and half and half mixture to potatoes. Continue to mash the potatoes until creamy. Then, mix well with a wooden spoon until light, fluffy and smooth. Stir in salt and pepper.
- Pour potatoes into a serving bowl for serving.
- Serve warm.
Prepare mashed potatoes and pour into a casserole dish. Cover tightly with aluminum foil or a lid and refrigerate until about 20 minutes before ready to serve. Then, place in a preheated oven at 350º F for 20 minutes.
When you remove from the oven, top with remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and a sprinkle of salt and pepper, if desired.