The Best Southern Baked Beans Recipe!
Southern Baked Beans Recipe makes the best baked beans! It’s a perfect side dish for so many meals and a family favorite recipe for years! So easy to make!
As we’re about to step into all those fun cookouts, summer get togethers, and even family reunions, I thought I’d share this favorite recipe for my Southern baked beans.
These baked beans really go so perfectly with so many dishes I serve during this season – like pulled pork, grilled chicken, hamburgers, and everything in between – that they are somewhat of a regular occurrence around here and it is definitely a recipe you want to keep in your arsenal!
Baked Beans Recipe
Rich, smokey and oh so delicious, my recipe comes together quickly and then bakes slow so that all those flavors just meld perfectly together!
The fast-track of this recipe begins with canned navy beans, but you can of course begin with soaked dried beans if you prefer.
How to Make Baked Beans Recipe
So, here’s my Southern Baked Beans recipe. Get ready to make it often!
Southern Baked Beans Recipe
- 2 (16-ounce cans) navy beans
- 3 strips bacon diced
- 1-2 cloves garlic minced
- ½ medium sweet onion diced
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ cup unsulphured molasses
- ¼ cup dark brown sugar
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon prepared yellow mustard
For the Top of Baked Beans (optional):
- 2 slices bacon halved
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 325º F.
- Pour navy beans into medium stockpot.
- In a medium skillet, add diced bacon, onion, and garlic. Cook until bacon is crisp and onion is tender. Remove from heat and add to navy beans.
- Add Worcestershire sauce, molasses, brown sugar, ketchup, and yellow mustard. Stir to combine well. Pour into deep dish you plan to serve from or leave in stockpot. Top with bacon and sprinkle top with brown sugar.
- Place in oven and bake 45 minutes. Increase temperature to 425º F for 10 minutes to crisp bacon. Remove from oven and allow to rest about 5 minutes before serving.
Store baked beans in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week. Freezer Friendly:
Allow the baked beans to cool. Store in a freezer-safe, airtight container for up to 3 months. To reheat, allow to thaw in the refrigerator overnight and then reheat in a 350ºF oven for 15 - 20 minutes until heated throughout. Vegetarian/ Vegan:
To make these baked beans vegetarian and vegan friendly, simply omit the bacon from the recipe as well as the optional topping.
From the Add a Pinch recipe archives. Originally published 2013.