Simple strawberry hand pies are the cutest and simplest little portable pies perfect for sharing and devouring!
Strawberry pie has always made one of my favorite pie recipes for spring and these little strawberry hand pies have to be about the cutest version of them!
They are just the perfect size for a sweet treat for breakfast, an afternoon snack, or dessert!
I love the combination of strawberries and almond. So, for these strawberry hand pies, I decided to bring those two flavors together. To make them, I started with my favorite pie crust recipe. Since I wanted to make sure the almond flavor was carried throughout the hand pies, I used White Lily’s Wheat and Almond Premium Flour Blend.
If you’ve not heard of the premium flour blends by White Lily, let me share just a little bit about them.
I was thrilled last year when I heard that White Lily was introducing new culinary-inspired flours to the market and couldn’t wait to try them. White Lily teamed up with Shepherd’s Grain farmers to produce their first premium, Non-GMO Project verified flour blends. These flours make me feel so much closer to the farm and farmer where the flour was grown, helping me understand how much care and attention goes into each bag before it ever reaches my home.
The new flours are all-purpose wheat flour, wheat and red grape seed flour blend, wheat and white grape seed flour blend, and then the wheat and almond flour blend that I used in this recipe. Each bag of flour can be easily traced back to the exact wheat grower in the Pacific Northwest who grew the wheat.
These new premium flours are easily used in your favorite savory and sweet recipes, since they have the same bake-up functionality as traditional all-purpose flour and are used as a cup-for-cup replacement in those recipes. Likewise, for this recipe, you can use all-purpose flour as well.
Here’s my Strawberry Hand Pies recipe. I hope you enjoy them as much as we do!
Strawberry Hand Pies Recipe
- 2 cups strawberries
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract , or almond flavoring
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- raw, or turbinado sugar for sprinkling
- Add strawberries, sugar and water to a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-low heat. Once it reaches a boil, reduce heat and allow to simmer for 10 minutes until thickened. Remove from heat, stir in vanilla extract and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, prepare pie crust according to recipe instructions. Roll pie crust to 1/8-inch thickness and cut with a 2-inch round cutter. Pull any scraps back together and reroll and cut until you have 12 circles. Arrange onto a rimmed baking sheet lined with a silicon baking mat or parchment paper. Cover with a damp cloth while the strawberries cool.
- Once strawberries have cooled, spoon about 2 tablespoons of filling into the center of half of the circles of pie crust. Top with another circle of pie dough and seal edges with a fork. Cut three slits with a sharp knife into the top of the pie crust to allow steam to escape while baking.
- Wrap well with plastic wrap and place into freezer for 15 minutes or until ready to bake.
- Preheat oven to 400º F.
- Remove plastic wrap from baking sheet, brush tops of each pie with melted butter and sprinkle with sugar. Place baking sheet into preheated oven. Bake until golden brown and bubbling, about 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool about 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.