This Sweet Potato Hash makes a favorite meal around my house. It is perfect for a lazy weekend breakfast or even a fun weeknight supper. Who knew that a simple sweet potato hash recipe could be so versatile? Or simple? Or fabulous?
Basically, this sweet potato hash is a one dish meal prepared in a skillet. You can beat that for simple!
This sweet potato hash recipe begins by browning your favorite sausage or chorizo in the skillet, then quickly cooking the shredded sweet potatoes along with the sausage or chorizo to get it nice and crispy. So much of the flavor and texture comes from this step.
Once the sweet potatoes begin to crisp a bit, I make an indention into them with the back of a large spoon and break an egg into each one. Then, it all goes into the oven for a few minutes to bake the eggs.
Once the eggs have baked, I remove it from the oven and prepare it for serving by spooning on salsa, sprinkling with salt and freshly ground pepper and topping it with a bit of cilantro.
Here’s my Sweet Potato Hash Recipe. It’s a keeper and a must-maker.
- 3 sweet potatoes, peeled
- 1 pound sausage or chorizo
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 eggs
- ½ cup prepared salsa or pico de gallo
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 325º F. Cut sweet potatoes lengthwise to allow them to fit into the tube of food processor fitted with the julienne slicing blade or simply shred the sweet potatoes using the largest size holes of a box grater. Set aside.
- Crumble sausage or chorizo into a 12-inch cast iron skillet over medium heat. Allow to begin browning and then add sweet potatoes to the skillet, stirring constantly for about 2 minutes. Add in onion and garlic and stir to combine well. Cover with a lid and allow to cook for about 5 more minutes or until the sweet potatoes have become soft and tender with some crispy edges.
- Make five large indentions into the hash with the back of a large spoon. Crack one egg into each of the indentions. Place skillet into the preheated oven and bake until the eggs have just set, about 8 to 12 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and spoon on salsa or pico de gallo and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Top with sprigs of cilantro.
- Serve immediately.