White Chicken Enchiladas make a meal the whole family loves. This simple white chicken enchiladas recipe works great as a make-ahead meal, too!
This stuff. Oh my goodness gracious, y’all. It is seriously heaven on a plate. Thankfully, it is fairly easy to whip together for a quick-fix supper that has a meal on the table that your family will surely devour. You all know how much I love chicken enchiladas that I’ve shared with you previously, even their enchilada casserole cousin is a favorite. But this creamy, cheesy, and oh so comforting white version of chicken enchiladas is beyond words.
You can make it as spicy as you like, but generally I’ve found that white chicken enchilada recipes are on the milder side. Or at least all that I’ve eaten have been. If you like yours a bit spicier, then by all means, I recommend adding in diced jalapenos with your green chilis in the sauce.
For the chicken, I usually cook a large batch of chicken breasts and chicken thighs so that I have it on hand throughout the week to make supper a whole lot easier. I just cook it as normal, then allow it to cool and store it in an airtight container. Then, when I need it, I can just grab however much chicken I need to use in a recipe. However, you can also use a rotisserie chicken that you pick up from your grocer’s deli. Those things are lifesavers, too!
Here’s my White Chicken Enchiladas Recipe. I hope you enjoy them as much as we do!
White Chicken Enchiladas Recipe
- 8 8-inch tortillas
- 3 skinless boneless chicken breasts or thighs shredded
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken stock or broth or chicken broth
- 1 cup Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 1 (4-ounce) can diced green chilies with liquid
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper or black pepper if you prefer
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Spray a 9x13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Mix chicken and 1 cup cheese. Roll up in tortillas and place in pan.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan. Whisk in flour and cook until lightly browned, about 1 minute. Add broth and whisk until smooth. Heat over medium heat until thick and bubbly. Remove from heat and stir in yogurt or sour cream, and chilies, including the liquid, cumin, salt and pepper. Pour the sauce over enchiladas and top with remaining cheese.
- Place in preheated oven and bake 25 minutes. Remove from oven and serve.