Braised cabbage with bacon makes a delicious side dish. Cabbage braised with bacon and onion is perfect for a weeknight supper.
Braised cabbage with bacon is hard to beat for a hearty, down-home side dish. It’s one of those simple little recipes that makes the most humble of meals seem like so much more.
Growing up, Mama would serve cooked cabbage with meatloaf or pork chops along with a side of mashed potatoes on a regular basis. I’ll admit, I ate them because I had to. They were far from my favorite vegetables that she prepared.
As I got older, I grew to not mind them as much. I suppose it was routine exposure and learning to actually like them. But I have to tell you, I never really loved them until I started preparing them as I do in this recipe – braised with bacon and a bit of onion. I could make an entire meal out of that dish alone and actually have for lunch on a few occasions.
Little Buddy is still at the point I was when I was growing up with cabbage, but I feel sure that by having our “hello bites” on a routine basis he might actually love them as much as I do when he’s in his forties.
At least I’m cooking them like he will.
Here’s how I make my braised cabbage with bacon. Try it soon!
- 4 slices of bacon, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 head of cabbage, chopped
- ¼ cup water
- salt and pepper to taste
- Core and clean cabbage. Chop into 1½" to 2" pieces.
- Add diced bacon to a large, heavy-bottomed skillet or Dutch oven. Cook over low to medium heat until bacon has lightly crisped. Remove bacon to a bowl while cooking cabbage and drain off bacon drippings, leaving 3 tablespoons in the skillet or Dutch oven for cooking.
- Add diced onion to skillet or Dutch oven with bacon drippings and cook until tender, about 3 minutes. Add chopped cabbage to onions and add water. Cook for about 12-15 minutes until cabbage is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add the bacon back to the cabbage and stir gently to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
What vegetable did you eat as a child, but really learn to love when you got older?