Buffalo Chicken Lasagna combines two favorite dishes in one – buffalo chicken and lasagna!
Oh my goodness. If you guys like buffalo chicken nearly as much as my family does, then this recipe is going to be one that you have to try. I love to prepare this dish as a make-ahead to help me throughout the week since it makes a huge recipe perfect for serving a crowd or serving for a couple of meals. But, you can also take this recipe and divide it in half into smaller baking dishes, bake one for now and freeze the other for later or even for sharing. Talk about a win win!
Easy Buffalo Chicken Lasagna Recipe
To make this buffalo chicken lasagna, I start by cooking boneless, skinless chicken breasts that I’ve cubed along with onion, celery until the chicken is browned and cooked through and the onion and celery are tender. Then, I stir in the garlic and cook it for a minute or two before adding in my diced tomatoes, the majority of my homemade buffalo sauce, a little water and salt and pepper. Let me tell you guys, that mixture is pure heaven right by itself and is perfect to go on salads or mixed into so many other dishes.
While my chicken mixture is cooking, I have another pot going to boil my lasagna noodles. Of course, you can use the no-boil variety or replace the noodles with zucchini sliced really thinly instead. Both work just as well and are amazing!
Once the noodles are ready, you’ll stir together your ricotta cheese and some blue cheese and start layering for lasagna! You’ll bake for a while covered and then bake the remainder of the time uncovered until the buffalo chicken lasagna is bubbly and the cheese is melted. Remove it from the oven, pour on the remaining buffalo sauce and let it stand for a few minutes before serving.
Make Ahead Instructions
Prepare recipe as instructed, without baking. Wrap tightly and store in the refrigerator up to 2 days. When ready to cook, bake as instructed and serve.
Prepare according to the recipe instructions. Do not add the cheese. Allow to cool completely and store in an airtight, freezer-safe container for up to 3 months.
To reheat and serve, allow to thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Top the baked pasta with cheese. Reheat and serve.
Here’s my Buffalo Chicken Lasagna recipe. I think you will love it!
Buffalo Chicken Lasagna Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 3 medium) cubed
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 1 celery rib finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 (16-ounce) can diced tomatoes drained
- 1 homemade buffalo sauce recipe divided
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 9 lasagna noodles
- 1 carton (15-ounces) ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese divided
- 2 cups shredded white cheddar cheese
- 3 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Spray 9×13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Drizzle oil into a 3-quart Dutch oven over medium heat. Add chicken, onion, and celery and cook until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are fork tender, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and cook for another minute or so until fragrant. Then stir in tomatoes, 3/4 cup of buffalo sauce, water, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and reduce the heat to simmer and allow to cook about 5 more minutes.
- While chicken mixture is cooking, cook lasagna noodles according to package directions and drain.
- Mix together the ricotta cheese and half of the blue cheese.
- Layer baking dish with three noodles, 1/3 of the sauce, 1/3 of the ricotta mixture, 1/3 cheddar cheese, 1/4 of the mozzarella cheese, and 1/4 of the blue cheese. Repeat layers twice. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Cover with aluminium foil and bake for 20 minutes. Then, uncover and bake 20-25 minutes or until the lasagna is bubbly and cheese is melted. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with remaining blue cheese. Let stand 10 minutes and top with remaining buffalo sauce before serving.