Basic Butter Cookies are a classic cookie recipe that never goes out of style and works perfectly for any menu, celebration or just because!
Lately, I’ve been making the butter cookies with dollops of delicious buttercream on top for birthdays, graduation parties, and such. From fluffy white buttercream, my strawberry buttercream, and then my chocolate buttercream, it all works perfectly!
The cookies are so easy to make and elegant for showers, tea parties, and so many other special occasions.
My butter cookies recipe makes four dozen small cookies and two dozen larger sized cookies, letting you decide just what size you need for your get together.
Now, I am far from a professional cake or cookie decorator and I have to remind myself not to be overly critical of my frosting swirls on top of these cookies.
As I walk in to any party that I’m bringing them to though, no one else seems to care that the swirl isn’t just perfect on top.
I love folks like that.
Here’s my butter cookie recipe. It seriously will become a favorite! Hope you love it!
Butter Cookies Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 1/2 sticks (3/4 cup butter), softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Add flour, baking powder, and salt to a medium bowl. Whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add egg until well-combined. Slowly spoon in flour mixture mixing on medium speed until well-combined, then add vanilla and mix just until combined.
- Scoop cookie dough by the tablespoon onto a large baking sheet, leaving about 2-inches between each cookie. Press down on cookie dough ball lightly with the palm of your hand or the bottom of a glass until about 1/2-inch thick. Bake 10-13 minutes until lightly browned.
- Cool completely.