This Chicken Enchilada Skillet recipe has become one of my favorite, quick, go-to recipes for those busy as can be weeknights.
Seriously, this recipe is on permanent weekly rotation.
Well, if I thought far enough in advance to think about meal rotations and planning and smart stuff like that. So, I guess what I should say is that this is a regular around here.
This chicken enchilada skillet recipe uses ingredients that I usually keep on hand. You know, I’ve mentioned before about how at least once a week I toss chicken into my slow cooker and let it do its thing while I sleep. That way, I have chicken ready to go in any number of recipes for super quick meals.
It works for me and totally offsets my failure of having weekly meal plans.
But, if you don’t keep cooked chicken ready to go in the refrigerator, it only takes a few minutes to quickly chop the chicken into bite sized pieces and saute in the skillet.
Here’s my Chicken Enchilada Skillet Recipe. I think you’ll love it!
Chicken Enchilada Skillet Recipe
- 3 skinless boneless chicken breasts cubed into bite sized pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 medium red onion diced
- 1 medium jalapeno deseeded and diced
- 1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes with peppers
- 1 (10-ounce) can enchilada sauce
- 2 cups tortilla chips crumbled
- 1 (8-ounce) package Monterrey Jack cheese, grated
- sour cream optional
- Drizzle olive oil into medium skillet over medium heat. Add cubed chicken and saute until cooked through.
- Add diced onion and jalapeno and cook until just tender. Stir in diced tomatoes and enchilada sauce and simmer over medium heat until heated throughout.
- Top with tortilla chips and cheese. Cover skillet with lid and allow to cook until the cheese has melted.
- Serve warm.
- Garnish with sour cream, optional
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
Skillet recipes are the best. I’m always looking for a good cast iron meal. I’ve never done enchiladas before, they look way too good. Thanks for the recipe!
Enchiladas are one of my most favorite dishes ever!
OMG! Was going to start a diet today, but maybe after I make this! Love your blog layout!
oh wow, this makes me so hungry! this is going to be on the menu this week.
I always need new weeknight meal ideas – this sounds so perfect!!
Could someone tell me how long one normally cooks their chicken breasts and on what temperature? I have cooked them with spices, salsa & kidney beans … so I would imagine the cooking time would be the same but do you add chicken broth?
This was awesome!!!!!!
I was disappointed with this enchilada recipe. The picture looks a lot better than how it turned out. There’s just not much to it. We’re still hungry. Unfortunately, this will not be going on my recipe keeper board on Pinterest.
Oh no! I’m so sorry it wasn’t to your liking.
I make something similar, without the chips, and serve it in homemade tortillas, along with beans and rice. Delicious and very filling.
Yum yum… YUM! Me and hubby both loved this. Only had a little bit of enchilada sauce leftover from another recipe so I used some ketchup and chili powder as a substitute…turned out great!!!!!!
I’m so happy that you and your husband loved this! My family enjoys them too – I’m sure glad you did! Thanks so much! xo
Yumm made it tonight added a few things to our liking but was really good!!!