Chili Rubbed Chicken Skewers Recipe – Ready in minutes, these chicken skewers are a weekend AND a weeknight favorite! The secret is the chili rubbed chicken!
I am so thrilled we are finally having beautiful weather! It seems like we went straight from winter into summer and skipped right over spring! 🙂 I’m not complaining though. I love finally hearing all the birds chirping and being able to spend more time outside!
I hope you are able to enjoy it, too!
Since we are at the beginning of grilling weather, I wanted to share with you these Chili Rubbed Chicken Skewers that have been on repeat around here lately! They are so super fast and easy to make and everyone loves them! I’ve made them on the grill, using a grill pan, and also just in my trusty old cast iron skillet. And let me tell you friends, they are mighty delicious every single way I’ve cooked them! 🙂 And don’t worry about the chili rub, it isn’t super spicy. Of course, you can definitely add more heat to it if you’d like.
To make them, I begin with the chili rub on chicken that I’ve cut into 1-inch pieces. I just toss the chicken into a gallon zip top bag and then dump my seasonings right on top. My chili rub seasoning is super simple and most likely spices and seasonings that you have on hand. Now, I do use my Stone House Seasoning (blend of salt, pepper, and garlic) that I love on all. the. things! If you’ve not already made a batch of it to have on hand, I urge you to do so to add so much flavor to dishes in a snap!
Once I’ve added the seasonings to the chicken, I press as much air out of the zip top bag as possible as I am sealing it. Then, I rub all of the seasonings on the chicken until all of the pieces are nice and coated. At this point, I generally toss the chili rubbed chicken into the refrigerator as I’m prepping the rest of the ingredients or if you like to meal prep ahead, you can definitely do this a few days in advance so that the chicken marinates even longer in the chili rub seasoning and makes meal time even easier when you are ready to cook!
Next, I cut my veggies into about 1-inch pieces as well. I like to use red peppers, red onions, and zucchini for added color to my chicken skewers.
I mist my grill pan (or brush my grill) with olive oil spray (I like to use my olive oil mister!) set over medium to high heat. Then, I carefully add my Chili Rubbed Chicken Skewers. I then cook five minutes and then flip to the other side and cook an additional five minutes.
The flavors are absolutely out of this world!
Chili Rubbed Chicken Skewers Recipe
- 2 chicken breasts boneless, skinless and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon Stone House Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 medium red peppers cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 small red onion cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 medium zucchini cut into 1-inch pieces
- Place the chicken pieces into a large zip top bag. Add Stone House Seasoning, chili powder, paprika, cumin and cayenne pepper to the chicken. Remove as much air as possible as you are sealing the bag. Massage the seasoning onto the chicken, making sure that each piece is coated. Place into the refrigerator until ready to build your skewers.
- Build your skewers by alternating vegetable pieces with the chili rubbed chicken. (Zucchini, chicken, pepper, chicken, onion, chicken, and zucchini works well as the zucchini holds the skewer ingredients in place.)
- Preheat the grill, grill pan, or skillet to medium heat. Spray or brush with olive oil spray.
- Cook the chili rubbed chicken skewers on the grill, grill pan or skillet for five minutes. Flip and cook an additional five minutes or until the chicken has cooked through.
Prepare chili rubbed chicken (without building the skewers) and store the refrigerator for up to 3 days. When ready to cook, build the skewers and cook as directed.