Cucumber Tea Sandwiches
Cucumber tea sandwiches make a classic appetizer when entertaining or for showers, brunches and parties.
One of my favorite things to serve for showers or lunches are cucumber tea sandwiches. A definite classic little nibble that sure does disappear fast.
I remember growing up and watching Mother make cucumber tea sandwiches for various events, especially showers. I was always so impressed that in just a few minutes she had a beautiful tray of these sandwiches for her parties. I always loved the few extras she made for my sister and me to test to make sure they were just perfect.
They are such a great balance of cool, crisp cucumber with a smooth spread on top of a thin piece of bread with just the perfect amount of flair for a party. It’s no wonder they were always one of the first things to disappear. Mother would sometimes make them with breads like a pumpernickel or rye, but a good thin white bread has always been my favorite.
We always love to serve them as round open-faced bites so you can see the cucumber and so we get to include that pretty little dollop of cream cheese filling on the top with a sprig of dill. I think it’s just beautiful that way, but you can also make them by spreading one side of a piece of bread with your cream cheese filling, top with cucumbers and another piece of bread spread with filling. Then, cut away any crust on your bread and slice into four equal square bites or two lovely triangles for larger sandwiches. Just have fun with it and find your favorite way.
Here’s how you make them.
Cucumber Tea Sandwiches
- 2 cucumbers
- 12 slices thin bread
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- pinch of garlic powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill chopped + sprigs for decoration
- Use a fork to remove strips of peeling from the cucumber.
- Slice cucumbers into thin round slices.
- Set aside on paper towels to drain.
- Cut bread into circle or simply remove crust and cut into four equal square pieces.
- Cream together cream cheese and mayonnaise.
- Add garlic powder, salt and dill.
- Spread one side of bread with cream cheese mixture.
- Top with cucumber slice.
- If serving open faced, then decorate with a bit of cream cheese mixture and sprig of dill.
- If serving closed, spread another piece of bread with spread and place on top of cucumber.
Add a Pinch: Cucumber Tea Sandwiches
The Cultural Dish: Ahi Tuna with Cucumber Sauce and Salad
Daily*Dishin: Cool n’ Zesty Cukes: 7 Minute Summer in a Jar
Daydreamer Desserts: Cubanita Margarita
Purple Cook: Cucumber Gazpacho with Indian Flavored Shrimp Relish
Indian Simmer: Cucumber at its Best with Chaat Masala
Big Apple Nosh: Quick and Easy Homemade Pickles
Sweet Life Bake: Agua de Pepino
The Sensitive Epicure: Tzatziki with Grilled Gluten-Free Pitas and Fresh Cucumbers and Peppers
Zaika Zabardast: Cucumber Gazpacho
A Way to Garden: Cucumber-Growing Q&A and the Best Pickles
Cooking with Books: Summer Fest: Cucumbers