French toast sticks make a family favorite breakfast. Ready in minutes, this simple recipe for homemade French toast sticks also make a wonderful make-ahead treat!
One of my son’s favorite breakfast items has always been French toast. We turn to my Perfect French Toast recipe more times than I can count!
But one thing that he especially loved when he was a wee little boy was food that he could pick up with his fingers and eat. Even foods that he didn’t like I could coax him to try if fingers and dipping were involved. I’m not sure if that is just a kid thing, a boy thing, or what, but I used it to my advantage more times that not!
So, I naturally combined his love of French toast and using his hands to eat and would make these fun French toast sticks all the time when he was little. I’d make a few batches at a time and freeze bags of them and store in the freezer for even quicker mornings and some afternoon treats as well. For some reason, I hadn’t thought of them in the longest time until the other day he reminded me about them and actually requested them for breakfast.
You can bet they were on the table lickety split and there is now a bag of them in the freezer ready to go in a moments notice.
French Toast Sticks
French Toast Sticks Recipe
- Whisk together eggs, milk, salt, vanilla, and cinnamon in a flat-bottomed pie plate or baking dish. Cut bread into thirds and place a few at a time into the egg mixture and flip to make sure both sides of bread are well-coated.
- Add granulated sugar to a shallow plate. Remove dipped French toast sticks from the wet batter and place in the plate of granulated sugar and lightly coat both sides of the sticks.
- Melt butter in a large skillet or on a griddle.
- Place bread sticks in skillet or on griddle and cook until golden browned on each side and crisp, about 3-5 minutes.
- Serve immediately or keep warm in oven until ready to serve, but no longer than about 30 minutes.
- To freeze for later use, place cooked French toast sticks on a baking sheet pan and freeze until firm, about 30 – 45 minutes. Transfer to a freezer-safe airtight container or freezer-safe zip top bag and store in the freezer. When ready to reheat, preheat oven to 425º F, remove the number of French toast sticks desired from the freezer and place onto a rimmed baking sheet pan in the oven and bake for about 12-15 minutes, until heated throughout.
- Serve with Maple Syrup.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.