This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
There’s just something about a grilled cheese sandwich that is totally comforting.
Like a giant hug from your grandmother when you had a really rough day or a warm, cuddly quilt on a rainy afternoon, grilled cheese sandwiches just feel good.
The other night as we were driving home, I asked my husband what his definition of the perfect grilled cheese sandwich would be.
After a few minutes, he gave me a very detailed answer of the perfect grilled cheese sandwich in his book.
His description had me craving his version of a grilled cheese sandwich right then and there. I couldn’t wait to get home to make it for him.
Here’s his version:
The bread should either be Texas Toast or a soft white bread. The sandwich should have a light smear of mayonnaise on one side of one piece of bread. The other slice of bread should have a smear of butter.
Then, layer on slices of really good cheese, then slices of ham, topped with slices of cooked bacon.
Add the sandwich to a cast iron skillet that has a couple of pats of butter melted in it.
Gently press the sandwich down as it begins to cook, making sure all of the ingredients get nice and mingled.
After a few minutes when one side of the sandwich becomes lightly toasted, flip it over to toast the other side.
Then, remove the sandwich and slice it diagonally.
Now, doesn’t that description make your mouth water, too?
As I made his sandwich, I used Cracker Barrel® Sharp Cheddar Cheese that I cut into thin slices. The rich, full flavor of the sharp cheddar cheese works perfectly with the smokey flavors from the ham and bacon.
As you know, I’m working with Cracker Barrel® Cheese over the next few months developing recipes and sharing about their premium, high quality product. Since Cracker Barrel® Cheese is easily accessible in your local grocery store, it makes it easy to pick up award-winning cheeses that I am proud to feed my family. The cheeses are always consistent in quality and richness, and the flavors are amazing.
Here’s the recipe for my husband’s perfect grilled cheese sandwich. I’d love to know what’s on yours?
Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Ham and Bacon Recipe
- 2 slices Texas Toast or soft white bread
- 1/2 teaspoon mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon butter softened
- 4 ounces thinly sliced sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 slice cooked ham
- 2 slices cooked bacon
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Assemble sandwich by first smearing mayonnaise on one side of one slice of bread. Spread ½ teaspoon of softened butter onto one side of the other slice of bread. Layer cheese, ham, and bacon onto the side of bread with butter spread onto it. Top with second slice of bread with mayonnaise side toward bacon.
- Heat a cast iron skillet over medium-low heat and add a tablespoon of butter to the skillet to melt. Once butter has melted, add sandwich and toast until golden brown. Flip sandwich, adding additional butter if needed. Toast until second side of sandwich is golden brown. Remove from skillet and slice in half, diagonally.
- Serve immediately.
Did you make this recipe?
Mention @addapinch or tag #addapinch!
Share it with the world!
Oh man—this looks like grilled cheese perfection!