Grilled Chicken Fiesta Salad Recipe – This simple grilled chicken salad recipe is kicked up a notch for a spicy Tex-Mex favorite!
A salad that includes chips and salsa? Yes, please! This Grilled Chicken Fiesta Salad is loaded with delicious Tex-Mex ingredients and flavor that is always a favorite.
Grilled Chicken Fiesta Salad Recipe
Table of Contents
How to Make Grilled Chicken Fiesta Salad
Be sure to see the recipe card below for the full listing of ingredients, instructions, notes, and estimated nutritional information.
- Salad greens – a fresh spring mix, butter lettuce, arugula, Romaine, or your favorite mixture of salad greens
- Chicken – use grilled and sliced chicken
- Corn – grill the corn for additional flavor and then slice off the cob
- Black beans – canned beans that are drained and rinsed
- Cherry or grape tomatoes – cut in half
- Red onion – sliced thinly
- Tortilla chips – crushed and sprinkled on top of the salad
- Fresh cilantro – adds so much flavor to this salad
- Salsa – Homemade or your favorite store-bought salsa
- Avocado – halved or diced
- Lime – freshly squeezed lime adds so much flavor to this grilled chicken salad
To make this Grilled Chicken Fiesta Salad, grill the chicken breasts over direct heat at 400ºF for 6 to 8 minutes. Carefully flip the chicken breasts and cook until the chicken reaches 160º F – 165º F when checked with an internal thermometer, about 6 to 8 more minutes. Remove from the grill and let the chicken rest for 5 minutes before serving or slicing.
Layer the salad greens on a large platter or in a bowl. Then, add the black beans, grilled corn, slices of grilled chicken, tomatoes, slices of red onion, and crushed tortilla chips.
Serve the Grilled Chicken Fiesta Salad with a bowl of my homemade restaurant-style salsa (or your favorite store-bought salsa) nestled into the salad so that everyone can easily serve themselves.
I serve avocado on the side as well. Since we recently found out that my husband is sensitive to avocado, I serve it like this so that those who want avocado can pick up their own avocado without it being in the salad. That way, everyone can enjoy what they like! If there are no avocado sensitivities, you can dice the avocado to include in the salad.
Then, sprinkle fresh cilantro and a squeeze of lime juice over the salad and serve.
Substitutions and Variations
Here are some ideas for how you can customize your salad:
- Rotisserie Chicken – Use rotisserie chicken in place of grilled chicken.
- Spicy Grilled Chicken Salad – Grill jalapeno peppers until just blackened, allow to cool, dice, and toss into the salad.
- Add Taco Seasoning to Chicken – Sprinkle chicken with taco seasoning before grilling for additional Tex-Mex flavor in every bite of chicken.
- Ranch Fiesta Chicken Salad– Serve this salad with buttermilk ranch dressing to mix with the salsa for a creamy and cool option.
Use leftover or rotisserie chicken, drained canned corn, and your favorite store-bought salsa in place of homemade to make this salad in minutes!
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! This grilled chicken fiesta salad is a great way to use leftover grilled chicken. You can serve with cold leftover grilled chicken or reheat the chicken before adding to the salad.
You can substitute rotisserie or canned chicken that has been drained for the chicken in this recipe.
Here’s my Grilled Chicken Fiesta Salad Recipe. I hope you love it as much as we do!
Grilled Chicken Fiesta Salad Recipe
- 4 – 6 cups salad greens
- 2 chicken breasts, grilled and sliced
- 1 ear corn, grilled and removed from the cob
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
- 1/2 medium red onion, sliced thinly
- 1 cup crushed tortilla chips
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 1 cup salsa recipe, or store-bought
- 1 medium avocado
- 1 medium lime
- Grill the chicken breasts over direct heat at 400ºF for 6 to 8 minutes. Carefully flip the chicken breasts and cook until the chicken reaches 160º F – 165º F when checked with an internal thermometer, about 6 to 8 more minutes. Remove from the grill and let the chicken rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
- Arrange salad greens on a large platter or toss into a large bowl. Top with grilled chicken slices, corn, black beans, tomatoes, onion, crushed tortilla chips, and torn fresh cilantro.
- Pour salsa into a small cup and place on the platter alongside the salad for serving. Halve the avocado and place alongside the salad, or go ahead and dice and toss into the salad. Slice the lime and squeeze the lime juice over the salad and serve.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.