This Crispy Hot Honey Chicken Sandwich recipe features crispy oven-fried chicken smothered in homemade spicy hot honey.
Hot honey chicken sandwiches have been a restaurant favorite meal that I can just as easily make at home! The chicken is based on my favorite crispy oven-fried chicken recipe that my family always loves and I recently shared my recipe for making homemade hot honey that is a definite go-to recipe if you are a hot honey lover like I am! I think you’ll love this amazing chicken sandwich!
Table of Contents
How to Make Crispy Hot Honey Chicken Sandwich Recipe
Be sure to see the recipe card below for the full listing of ingredients, instructions, notes, and estimated nutritional information.
- For the chicken. This sandwich uses my Crispy Oven-Fried Chicken recipe for the chicken. You’ll want to go to that recipe for the step-by-step photographs. There are a few tips that you’ll want to be sure to follow for the juiciest, crispiest oven-fried chicken. The double dip is essential for the crispiest coating and the pounding of the chicken makes it ultra tender and juicy.
- For the hot honey. I’ve recently shared my homemade hot honey recipe that I absolutely love. I love to make a batch of hot honey and store it in my pantry so that I can use it for any number of recipes at a moment’s notice. I think you’ll love it, too! If you prefer not to make your own hot honey, you can use storebought such as Mike’s Hot Honey.
- For the sandwich. Use your favorite hamburger bun and chicken sandwich toppings such as lettuce, tomato, pickles, and mayo if you prefer. We love to keep our hot honey chicken sandwiches simple and just add lettuce.
Prepare the hot honey chicken. Pound the two chicken breasts to 1/2-inch thickness with a rolling pin or meat mallet. Cut the pounded chicken into four equal-sized pieces. Bread the chicken and place it into the prepared skillet. Cook the oven-fried chicken. Remove the skillet from the oven and spoon the hot honey over the cooked chicken, making sure that the chicken is well coated. Return to the oven and broil for 3 to 5 minutes for the hot honey to bake into the chicken crust. Remove from the oven.
Assemble the sandwich. Place the hot honey chicken on the bun, add your favorite toppings, and serve with additional hot honey if desired.
To make ahead. Hot honey can be prepared well in advance and stored in the pantry. The crispy oven-fried chicken is best served when cooked but can be held warm on a wire rack-lined baking sheet in a 225º F oven for up to 20 minutes.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are a few tips for making sure that your oven-fried chicken is crispy and delicious! First, the pounding of the chicken. Having your chicken at an even thickness allows the chicken to cook evenly, resulting in a crispy exterior and a juicy, tender interior. Next, the breading. Make sure to double-dip your chicken in the batter as directed for the crispiest chicken. Finally, the cooking method matters. Cooking your chicken at a higher temperature and then broiling at the end makes sure you don’t end up with soggy oven-fried chicken.
Here’s my Crispy Hot Honey Chicken Sandwich recipe. I hope you enjoy them as much as we do!
Crispy Hot Honey Chicken Sandwich Recipe
- 2 chicken breasts, pounded to 1/2-inch thickness. Each breast cut into 3 equal pieces
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons plain breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Stone House Seasoning, or 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, and 1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/4 cup Hot Honey
- 4 hamburger buns
- Prep. Pound the chicken with a rolling pin or meat mallet to 1/2-inch thickness. Whisk together the dry ingredients for the breading in a shallow baking dish. Whisk together the wet ingredients for the breading in a separate shallow baking dish. Preheat the oven to 425º F. Add butter and olive oil to the skillet and plate the skillet in the oven until the butter melts. Remove the skillet from the oven and swirl until the interior of the skillet is coated.
- Bread the chicken. Dip the chicken into the egg mixture, then the flour mixture, then back into the egg mixture and then into the flour mixture for the second time. Finally, dip into the egg mixture for the 3rd time. Place the chicken into the skillet leaving space between the chicken. Repeat until all chicken is breaded. You may need to cook in batches depending on the size of your chicken and the skillet.
- Bake the chicken. Place the skillet into the oven and cook for 10-12 minutes. Carefully flip the chicken with a metal spatula, taking care not to tear the breading from the chicken. Bake until the chicken reaches 165º F when checked with an instant-read thermometer, about 5 more minutes.
- Add the hot honey. Spoon the hot honey onto each piece of chicken, about a tablespoon per piece. Make sure that the chicken is well coated. Broil the chicken for about 5 minutes until the exterior is crispy and golden brown. Watch the chicken as it broils. Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Assemble and serve.
- Place a piece of the cooked hot honey chicken onto the bottom half of the bun. Top with your favorite sandwich toppings and more hot honey if your prefer.
Storage TipsTo make ahead. Hot honey can be prepared well in advance and stored in the pantry. The crispy oven-fried chicken is best served when cooked but can be held warm on a wire rack-lined baking sheet in a 225º F oven for up to 20 minutes.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.