Easy Meringue Recipe with tips to make it perfect and fluffy every time! This favorite recipe makes the best meringue for topping pies, puddings and more.
This meringue recipe makes me happy. Seriously. It also brings back so many memories of watching my Mama and Grandmothers making meringue to top their pies or chocolate pudding. I love that!
A smooth, glossy fluff of meringue on top a dessert immediately grabs my attention. I can’t wait to dig into a scoop of banana pudding or a favorite pie just for the feel of the airy topping melting in my mouth just as soon as it touches it.
But you know, meringue is really one of the easiest things in the world to make if you just know a few tricks when preparing.
Meringue Recipe Tips
1. Separate your eggs while they are cold and then allow them to come to room temperature for the fluffiest meringue.
2. Always make sure the bowl you are using to make your meringue is scrupulously clean. Wash it and then wash it again just to be certain if you have to.
3. Take care not to over whip your meringue. It should have a smooth and glossy look.
4. Use cream of tartar to help stabilize the meringue to hold its form.
5. Place meringue about 4 inches under the heat and bake for about 10 minutes, just until the peaks have turned golden brown.
Here’s my family’s meringue recipe. I think you’ll love it.
- 4 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Remove eggs from the refrigerator and separate, as they will separate best cold.
- Allow egg whites to reach room temperature to allow them to whip to their fullest.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Pour eggs whites into a spotlessly-clean bowl.
- Whip the egg whites until they are glossy and smooth, then add the cream of tartar to help the egg whites hold their form.
- Slowly add the sugar to the egg whites.
- Spread meringue on top of pre-baked or no-bake dessert, place about 4 inches under the heat and bake for about 10 minutes, until golden.