This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Lemon sugar cookies recipe taste like you’ve taken a big bite out of summer! So fresh and delicious, it’ll become a favorite!
I always love bright, citrus flavors, especially in the summertime. Lemons, limes, oranges, grapefruits, I can’t seem to get enough of them! Add them to a cookie and you better believe I’m all about it!
I’ve been making this lemon version of my sugar cookie recipe for years and years and every time I take them to an event or to friends, I’m asked for the recipe and how to make them. They are packed full of so much lemon flavor!
So, if you love citrus flavors and sugar cookies, then this recipe is definitely one you are going to love! They are perfect for summer entertaining or enjoying with your family.
The secret really comes down to the lemon in the cookie and then rolling them in lemon sugar. It makes for the perfect citrus-y cookies in my opinion!
Here’s my Lemon Sugar Cookies recipe. I hope you love them!
Lemon Sugar Cookies Recipe
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- zest of two large lemons
- juice of one large lemon about 1 tablespoon
- 1/4 cup lemon sugar recipe for rolling cookies
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper or a nonstick baking mat.
- Cream together butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add egg and mix until well-combined.
- Stir in flour, baking powder, salt, vanilla, lemon zest and lemon juice. Allow to sit for about 3 minutes to allow lemon flavor to develop.
- Scoop cookie dough by the tablespoon full and roll into a ball.
- Add lemon sugar to a large bowl for rolling cookie dough in before baking. Place each ball of cookie dough into the bowl of lemon sugar and roll to coat well. Place cookie dough onto baking sheet, spacing about 1 1/2-inches to 2 inches apart. Lightly press each cookie down. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned.
Did you make this recipe?
Mention @addapinch or tag #addapinch!
Share it with the world!
OMG! First time I made these cookies. Turned out so delicious. Really tastes like lemon. Took some to one of my church meetings and they were a hit. Have to print out a bunch of recipes to hand out. I made one substitution, lemon extract for the vanilla extract. Juiced the three lemons and added the leftover lemon sugar that you roll the cookies in and made lemonade.
Thanks for the tips, Carol Joann. So glad everyone loved these cookies.
I followed your lemon cookie recipe step by step. It doesn’t look right! The dough is super crumbly. If a squeeze the dough it will come into a ball (sort of). Is this the way it is suppose to be?
Your dough should not be super crumbly, Jacque. Was your butter softened and other ingredients at room temperature? Also, could you have added too much flour?