This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Loaded Smashed Potatoes make a perfect side dish. This easy recipe for loaded smashed potatoes is great for entertaining and comforting family meals.
Loaded Smashed Potatoes have to be one of my favorite side dishes to make. Like ever.
Full of everything you love about a baked potatoes, these loaded smashed potatoes are even better, in my opinion.
They are so easy to prepare and work well for serving a crowd for special occasions, when entertaining, or just because.
Here’s the recipe for my Loaded Smashed Potatoes. I seriously can’t wait to hear how you love them!
Loaded Smashed Potatoes
- 5 pounds red potatoes scrubbed
- 1/2 cup butter melted + 2 tablespoons cut into pieces
- ¾ cup half and half
- cloves from about 2 bulbs of roasted garlic
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 8 slices thick-cut bacon crumbled
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1½ teaspoons freshly ground pepper
- Place potatoes into large saucepan and add enough water to cover, plus about 1 inch. Cook over medium-low heat until fork tender, about 15-20 minutes.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter, add half and half and roasted garlic. Heat until simmering.
- Drain potatoes and pour potatoes back into saucepan used to cook them. Smash potatoes over low heat until chunks of potatoes remain, but the majority of the potatoes are smooth. Add the melted butter and half and half mixture to potatoes. Continue to mash the potatoes to incorporate the half and half mixture. Then, mix in garlic, sour cream, bacon crumbles, and cheddar cheese with a spoon until well-combined. Stir in salt and pepper.
- Pour potatoes into a serving bowl for serving.
- Make-Ahead Tip: Prepare mashed potatoes and pour into a casserole dish. Cover tightly with aluminum foil or a lid and refrigerate until about 20 minutes before ready to serve. Then, place in a preheated oven at 350º F for 20 minutes.
- When you remove from the oven, top with remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and a sprinkle of salt and pepper, if desired.
- Serve warm.
Did you make this recipe?
Mention @addapinch or tag #addapinch!
Share it with the world!
Smashed potatoes! I could eat these for breakfast. 🙂
Wow we’re on the same wavelength with the loaded potatoes! Yours look great!
Who could say no to these mashed potatoes loaded with butter, cheese and garlic! I Want Some Right Now!!
This totally reminds me of Unos side dish that is amazing ! yum ! totes adding it to my blog post about the best recipes I found on the web this week 🙂
Put whole potatoes in cold water and cook for 15-20 min?? It seems like it would take a lot longer. Am I reading it wrong?
Happy Easter, and thanks for a great Easter recipe! This may be a new tradition! These turned out delicious! Easy and a true star at any dinner! I didn’t have red potatoes, but I just left some skin on the white ones, and they were still wonderful!