Roast Chicken has to be one of the most versatile recipes you can make. It works perfectly for a casual family supper as well as a more elegant evening entertaining friends. You can make it a comfort meal all the way with smashed potatoes and green beans or bring it up a notch with some roasted asparagus and pots de creme for dessert. Believe me, when I have no idea what to serve, time and again, I turn to my trusted roast chicken.
Especially this version with lemon and rosemary. This roast chicken is bright and flavorful and absolutely mouth-wateringly delicious.
I simply prepare my chicken by giving it a really good rinse inside and out, being sure to remove anything packaged inside the chicken. Then, I place it into a cast iron skillet just large enough to hold it while it is roast.
I cut a few lemons into wedges, cut sprigs of rosemary from my rosemary plant and place inside and around my chicken.
A quick rub of softened butter or olive oil and my chicken is off and into the oven to roast away.
Here’s my Roast Chicken with Lemon and Rosemary recipe. I hope you love it as much as we do!
Roast Chicken with Lemon and Rosemary Recipe
- 1 5-6 pound whole chicken cleaned with giblet removed
- 1 lemon quartered
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 4 cloves garlic smashed
- olive oil or softened butter
- salt and pepper
- Garnish optional
- 1 lemon quartered
- 3 sprigs rosemary
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees with the skillet inside the oven. When the skillet and oven have preheated, remove the skillet from the oven and place the chicken inside of the skillet.
- Place lemon quarters, rosemary sprigs, and garlic in the cavity of the chicken. Tie legs using kitchen twin if you so choose.
- Coat the chicken well with olive oil or softened butter and then sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Roast chicken for 15-20 minutes per pound or until an internal probe registers 165 degrees when inserted into the breast of the chicken.
- Remove from the oven and allow to rest for about 5-10 minutes to allow the juices to return to the meat.
- Use pan juices to baste the chicken, if desired.
- Garnish with lemon quarters and rosemary sprigs, optional.