This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Saltine Cracker Toffee Recipe – Cracker toffee or Christmas crack is a favorite, easy recipe made with only five ingredients!
This quick and easy toffee recipe is the perfect combination of sweet and salty, creamy and crunch all in one delicious bite! Perfect with just five ingredients, but easily customized with optional toppings of nuts, crushed pretzels, candies, or a sprinkle of sea salt!
Saltine Cracker Toffee Recipe
My niece Katherine began making this simple, yet scrumptious cracker toffee for our Christmas celebrations years ago and with one bite, it became a must-make tradition! I was thrilled when we created a a video to show you just how easy it is to make! We also included step-by-step photographs as well!
How to Make Saltine Cracker Toffee Recipe
Begin by lining your baking sheet with parchment paper. Katherine recommends leaving a little bit of overhang on your parchment paper so that you can easily lift it out of the pan once ready to serve.
Once you have your pan prepared, arrange your saltine crackers on your prepared baking sheet. Make sure to place each of the saltine crackers so that they touch edge to edge and so that the salt on the saltine is facing down.
Add the butter and sugar to a medium saucepan set over medium heat. Once it begins to bubble around the edges, allow to boil for 3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract with a wooden spoon.
Carefully pour the caramel over the crackers and spread evenly. Place into the oven and bake for 5 minutes until bubbles. Remove from the oven.
Sprinkle with chocolate chips. For the chocolate chips, you can use whichever you prefer – milk chocolate, semisweet, or even dark!
Continue to sprinkle until the crackers are covered. Then, allow to sit for 5 minutes for the chocolate chips to soften. Then, spread the chocolate over the crackers and caramel.
What Toppings To Add to Saltine Cracker Toffee
Next, if you prefer, sprinkle on any of the optional toppings you prefer. You can see that Katherine made hers with various toppings on one pan! That way, everyone gets what they’d like! She used the following:
- Chopped toasted pecans
- Toffee bits
- Mini M&Ms
- Sea Salt
Then, pop your saltine cracker toffee into the freezer for 5 minutes to harden.
Remove from the freezer, lift the parchment paper off of the baking sheet and break the toffee into pieces for serving.
Saltine Cracker Toffee Recipe
- 40-50 saltine crackers
- 1 cup salted butter
- 1 cup light or dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- 1 cup toasted pecans optional
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea or kosher salt optional
- 1 cup crushed pretzels optional
- 1 cup candies optional
- 1 cup toffee bits optional
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper lightly sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Arrange crackers, salted side down, onto the sheet pan making sure that the crackers are placed snuggly together. Set aside.
- Add butter and sugar to a medium saucepan set over medium heat. Once it begins to bubble around the edges, allow to boil for 3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract with a wooden spoon. Pour over crackers and spread evenly. Bake for 5 minutes until bubbles. Remove from the oven.
- Sprinkle on chocolate chips and allow to sit for about 5 minutes to soften. Spread the softened chocolate evenly over the top of the crackers and caramel.
- Sprinkle with preferred toppings of nuts, pretzels, candies, or sea salt, if using. Freeze for 5 minutes to harden.
- To serve, break pieces of cracker toffee apart and place onto a plate.