Black Bean and Smoked Brisket Soup
Black Bean and Brisket Soup makes a comforting soup recipe. Full of tender smoked brisket, and black beans, this soup is sure to be a favorite.
Smoked beef brisket takes black bean soup to an entirely new level of hearty, comforting, and delicious. Yes, smoking a beef brisket takes time, but when you take that first flavorful bite, you’ll know it was worth it.
Here’s how I make it.
Smoked Beef Brisket Black Bean Soup
- 5-6 pounds beef brisket trimmed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 4 (15-ounce) cans black beans
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- Place beef brisket in smoker pre-heated to 250 degrees.
- Cook for 3 1/2 hours, then flip and cook another 3 1/2 hours or until internal temperature reaches 180 degrees.
- Remove from smoker and allow to rest 10-15 minutes on carving board before slicing.
- Slice against the grain into 1/4 inch slices, then bite size pieces.
- About 30 minutes before brisket is done, pour olive oil into large stock pot.
- Add onions and garlic and cook over medium heat until tender.
- Puree one can of black beans.
- Pour into stock pot with onions and garlic.
- Add additional cans of beans.
- Stir well and add cumin and oregano.
- Simmer over low heat.
- Add smoked beef brisket to soup and cover.
- Allow to simmer over low heat for 30 minutes.
- Serve with sour cream, shredded cheese, and a wedge of cornbread.