Hush puppies are a favorite concoction served with fish, seafood or chicken. This family heirloom recipe for Southern Hush Puppies is simple and delicious!
I’ve always loved my Mama’s hush puppies. As a little girl, I’d stand and watch as she mixed the hush puppies together using the leftover components from where she and Daddy would cook fish following a day on the lake. Friends and family would come over and we’d have one of the best, yet simplest of southern meals – fried catfish, hush puppies, baked beans, coleslaw, all followed by a pineapple upside down cake. It was heaven.
When she’d drop the batter for the hush puppies into the hot oil, I would watch on my tip toes from a safe distance to see if I could see them when they bobbed back up to the top. For some reason, they reminded me of the big red and white bobber Daddy always had me pay close attention to on the line from my fishing pole. I’d watch that bobber for what seemed like hours as Daddy would reel in fish after fish. Of course, it took me a little while to realize the technique of knowing when a fish had brushed past just to steal my bait.
But, as much as I loved eating our catch from the day, Mama’s hush puppies were always my favorite. They were always so light and airy, crisp and crunchy. She would always dice up an onion to include in her hush puppies and lately, I’ve been adding diced jalapenos into a few as well. Talk about perfection!
Southern Hush Puppies Recipe
- 1 quart peanut oil
- 1/2 cup self-rising flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 medium onion diced
- 1 jalapeno deseeded and diced (optional)
- Heat oil in Dutch oven to 350º F.
- Whisk together flour, cornmeal, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl. Stir in onion and jalapeno, if using. Slowly pour in milk while stirring and add just enough to make a wet batter.
- Using two teaspoons, scoop batter out of bowl with one teaspoon and carefully push the batter off of the teaspoon with the second teaspoon into the hot oil. Hush puppies will rise back to the top of the hot oil. Allow to turn golden brown on one side and then gently flip the hush puppies onto the other side for browning with a slotted spoon. Remove from hot oil and drain on a paper towel lined plate for serving.