Sugared Cranberries Recipe – These sparkly sugared cranberries come together quickly and easily with just two simple ingredients! Beautiful as garnish for cakes, cookies, cocktails, or to serve as a sweet, yet tart treat!
My fascination with cranberries continues with these beautiful, sparkly sugared cranberries that make everything that you serve them on more festive, fun and elegant!
They couldn’t be much easier to make, with just two simple ingredients – fresh cranberries and sugar!
Sugared Cranberries Recipe
How to Make Sugared Cranberries
Make simple syrup. Make a simple syrup of equal parts sugar and water over medium heat. Once the sugar has dissolved in the syrup, you stir in the fresh cranberries. Remove the cranberries from the simple syrup using a slotted spoon.
Dry the cranberries. I like putting them on a wire rack set over a parchment-lined baking sheet. That way, the parchment catches any of the drops of the simple syrup for super easy cleanup!
You’ll let the cranberries dry until just tacky on the wire rack. For me, this takes about 30 minutes.
Roll in the sugar. Then, working in batches, I roll the cranberries in a bowl with the remaining sugar.
Since the sugared cranberries are still a bit tacky from the simple syrup, the sugar easily adheres to them and leaves them coated in the sparkly sugar.
Dry again. Once they are coated, I carefully remove them from the bowl of sugar with a slotted spoon and place them back on the wire rack to dry again.
I love that the parchment paper-lined baking sheet catches all of the drips and excess sugar!
These cranberries are delicious to pop in your mouth as a sweet and sour treat if you like that sort of snack.
But once you make them, you’ll find all sorts of things to use them on as garnish – from cookies, cakes, and more!
I often make this beautiful garnish for serving on short toothpick skewers for my Warm Cranberry Pomegranate Cider and with my fresh Cranberry Sauce or Cranberry Orange Scones. Can you tell I love this festive berry?
Here’s how I make my Sugared Cranberries. I hope you make them soon!
Sugared Cranberries Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 (12-ounce bag) fresh cranberries
- Combine 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 cup water in a medium saucepan set over medium heat. Stir until the sugar is completely dissolved, about 3 minutes. Add the cranberries and stir until well coated. Transfer the coated cranberries, using a slotted spoon, to a wire rack situated over a baking sheet. Let dry until the cranberries are just tacky to the touch, about 30 minutes.
- Working in batches, roll the cranberries in a bowl of the remaining sugar until well coated, return to the wire rack and let dry completely.
- Roll the cranberries in the remaining 1 1/2 cups sugar until well coated; let dry for at least 1 hour.
- Store in an airtight container in a cool place for up to a week.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
From the Add a Pinch Recipe archives. Originally published in 2017.