Chocolate Chess Pie is a classic Southern chocolate pie with a creamy middle topped with a crisp topping. Chess pie is easy and so delicious!
Chocolate Chess Pie is seriously one of the best things ever created – especially if you love chocolate like I do.
Creamy, custardy, and oh so chocolatey on the inside, chocolate chess pies is also crowned with the signature crunchy top crust that you’ll find in really good chess pie recipes. Topped with a dollop of homemade whipped cream, this pie is always a favorite.
And really, the simplicity of a chess pie just makes it even more special.
Easy Chocolate Chess Pie Recipe
See the inside of that pie?
Oh my goodness!!!
What is Chess Pie?
Chess Pie is a traditional southern pie recipe with deep roots from England. Chess pie is made from sugar, flour, butter and eggs and then baked in a pie crust. The combination of the sugar and flour mixed together give the pie a crispy, crackle finish on the top while leaving a custard type filling from the eggs. For this chocolate version of the classic pie, cocoa powder is also included.
How To Make Chocolate Chess Pie
To make this pie, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- Granulated Sugar
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- All-Purpose Flour
- Espresso Powder optional
- Butter melted and slightly cooled
- Evaporated Milk
- Vanilla extract
- Eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 (9-inch) Pie crust unbaked
- Whisk together sugar, cocoa, flour, salt, and espresso powder. Pour your melted butter and evaporated milk into the sugar and cocoa mixture and beat on high speed with an electric mixer. Mix in vanilla extract and eggs until well combined and continue to mix for about 2 minutes to lighten the batter.
- Pour the chocolate mixture into a 9-inch, unbaked pie crust. Bake for 55 minutes. The center of the pie will be a bit soft, allow it to cool completely on a wire rack for an hour before slicing. The pie will continue to set as it cools.
How to Store This Pie
Cover the pie loosely with wrap and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
You’ll love it.
Here’s my recipe for Chocolate Chess Pie. I hope you love it as much as we do!
Chocolate Chess Pie Recipe
- Preheat oven to 325º F.
- Whisk sugar, cocoa, flour, and espresso powder (if using) and salt together. Pour butter and evaporated milk into sugar and cocoa mixture and beat on high speed. Add vanilla and eggs. With mixer speed on high speed, mix for approximately 2-3 minutes to lighten.
- Pour mixture into 9 inch unbaked pie shell and bake for about 55 minutes. The center of the pie will be a bit soft. Allow to cool on a wire rack for at least an hour before slicing. The pie will continue to set as it cools.