This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This Baked Cheese Grits Casserole recipe features creamy grits cooked with butter and cheese and then baked into a delicious casserole.
Perfect for breakfast, brunch, or even as a side dish for supper, this easy grits casserole is always a favorite! Easily customizable with your favorite add-ins like peppers, onions, bacon, sausage, and more!
How to Make Baked Grits Casserole
Be sure to see the recipe card below for the full listing of ingredients, instructions, notes, and estimated nutritional information.
- Water – I mainly use water for cooking my grits for this casserole. You can also use chicken stock for additional flavor in place of the water.
- Grits – the grits used are important to the success of this recipe. Do not use instant grits. Look for high-quality, stone-ground grits.
- Butter – Adds so much flavor to the final casserole.
- Cheddar cheese – Use good quality cheddar cheese. I prefer to use freshly shredded from the block so that it does not contain any ingredients to prevent it from sticking, which would cause the cheese to not melt into the grits casserole and be as creamy as possible.
- Eggs – Lightly beat your eggs to add to the casserole. They help the casserole to rise and bake into a luscious dish.
- Milk – The addition of milk makes the casserole rich and creamy. I use either whole milk, half and half, or cream depending on what I have available.
- Salt and pepper – I can never stress the importance of using salt and pepper in recipes for flavor. They are so important in this recipe.
- Optional garnish: chopped fresh parsley, chives, or green onions.
Cook the grits. Prepare them according to my easy grits recipe. To make this casserole, you will be doubling the grits recipe. You’ll need 2 cups of grits and 8 cups of water.
Add the other ingredients. Stir in the butter, cheese, eggs, and milk.
Bake. Pour into the prepared baking dish and place into the preheated oven. Bake until bubbling and the top of the grits casserole is golden brown, about 1 hour.
Cool and serve. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 15 minutes. Serve warm. Top with optional garnish if using.
Cheese Grits Casserole Variations and Add-Ins
- Bacon Cheese Grits Casserole – Cook and chop 10 slices of bacon and stir into the casserole before baking.
- Sausage Grits Casserole – Cook 1 pound of your favorite breakfast-style sausage and stir into the casserole before baking.
- Pimento Cheese Grits Casserole – Stir 1 ½ pimento cheese into the casserole before baking.
Make Ahead and Freezing Instructions
To make ahead (unbaked) for meal prep. Perfect for preparing ahead for busy weekends and holidays. Prepare the casserole as directed without baking. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator overnight. Remove from the refrigerator and allow to sit out while the oven preheats. Bake as directed.
To make ahead (baked). Prepare the casserole as directed. Cool and cover tightly with wrap. Store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Reheat and serve.
To freeze. Prepare the casserole unbaked in a freezer-safe baking dish. Cover the unbaked casserole tightly with wrap and store in the freezer for up to 4 weeks. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Then bake and serve as directed.
Here is my Baked Cheese Grits Casserole Recipe. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
Baked Cheese Grits Casserole Recipe
- 2 grits recipe double the recipe to use 2 cups of grits and 8 cups of water
- 1/2 cup butter cut into chunks
- 1/2 pound cheddar cheese shredded
- 3 large eggs beaten
- 1 1/2 cups milk or heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Prep. Preheat the oven to 350º F. Butter a 9×13 baking dish. Set aside.
- Cook the grits. Following my easy grits recipe, prepare the grits and stir in salt and pepper to season. Stir in the butter, cheese, eggs, and milk.
- Bake the casserole. Pour into the prepared baking dish and place into the preheated oven. Bake until bubbling and the top of the grits casserole is golden brown, about 1 hour.
- Cool and serve. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 15 minutes. Serve warm.
Did you make this recipe?
Mention @addapinch or tag #addapinch!
Share it with the world!