Chicken Pot Pie has to be one of my all-time favorite, comforting casserole recipes. Perfect for serving company when they visit for supper, taking to friends or neighbors whenever there is a new baby in the house or just because you are thinking of them, and especially perfect for those Sunday suppers with your family.
My Chicken Pot Pie recipe is about as simple to pull together as can be, too.
Isn’t that the way we really want those comforting recipes to work? Taste like you’ve labored for hours on end, when in reality you’ve spent less time than it would take to go out to dinner at a restaurant.
And, this Chicken Pot Pie is wonderful as a make-ahead or freezer meal!
As a make-ahead meal, I prepare everything up to the biscuit topping, cover tightly and place it in the refrigerator up to a couple of days before cooking. Then, I remove it from the refrigerator and allow it to reach room temperature as I’m preparing the biscuits for the topping. Then, I just proceed on with the recipe as directed. Perfect for those busy weeknights or Sunday suppers.
As a freezer meal, I still prepare all the way to the biscuit topping, wrap tightly with plastic wrap and then aluminum foil. Then, I place it in the freezer. When ready to use, I remove from the freezer and place in the refrigerator overnight to thaw. Then, just like as a make-ahead meal, I remove it from the refrigerator to reach room temperature as I’m making the biscuit topping and then proceed one with the recipe.
Of course, for both of these, you can easily go through all the steps and include the biscuit topping, if you’d like. I just prefer to make them fresh right before baking. However, if I’m making for a neighbor, I’ll definitely go through with including the biscuits on top so that they do not have to worry with anything other than defrosting and baking!
Everyone compliments the biscuit topping on my Chicken Pot Pie. It really makes for a beautiful presentation, in my opinion. So much so, that I got a wee bit carried away taking photos of it for this post. Then, I couldn’t decide which ones I liked the best because they all were my favorites, so… please just ignore photo after photo after photo – unless that is your thing, too.
You ready to make it now?
Here’s my Chicken Pot Pie with Biscuits recipe. Hope you love it, too!
Chicken Pot Pie with Biscuits Recipe
- 3 skinless boneless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups diced potatoes
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 cup chicken stock or broth
- 1 (15-ounce) can English peas rinsed and drained
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 recipe Southern Buttermilk Biscuits
- Preheat oven to 475º F.
- Cut chicken into 1-inch pieces. Drizzle olive oil into large, heavy-bottomed Dutch oven over medium heat. Add chicken and cook until lightly browned and no longer pink. Remove from Dutch oven to a bowl using a slotted spoon. Set aside.
- Add potatoes, carrots, celery, onions, garlic and chicken stock to Dutch oven. Stir consistently. Cook until the potatoes and carrots are fork tender. Reduce heat to medium-low and add back chicken.
- Melt butter in 3-quart saucepan over medium-low heat. Whisk in flour until smooth and then slowly pour in milk, whisking constantly. Remove from heat and add salt and pepper. Pour into Dutch oven with chicken and vegetables. Add in English peas, stirring til well-combined. Pour into a 9x13 baking dish and set aside.
- Prepare Southern Buttermilk Biscuits and place on top of chicken pot pie mixture in baking dish. Sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper on top of biscuits.
- Bake 12-15 minutes until biscuits are golden brown and cooked through.
- Remove from oven and allow to rest for about 3 minutes. Serve warm.