Chocolate Sugar Cookies Recipe
Chocolate Sugar Cookies Recipe – This easy recipe makes the best soft chocolate sugar cookies! A crisp outside with a tender, chewy center makes these cookies and absolute favorite!
I’ve talked before about how sugar cookies are my absolute favorite cookies. But, let me tell you, this chocolate sugar cookie is beyond amazing! Talk about the perfect combination of a brownie-flavored confection in a soft, chewy sugar cookie! Oh my stars!
The cookie dough is rich, thick and so chocolatey. The addition of the espresso powder, like in my chocolate cake, helps to deepen the chocolate flavor without adding the flavor of coffee to the baked cookies. Of course, if you don’t have it on hand, the cookies are still mighty delicious without it! Just simply omit it from the recipe.
This recipe makes 4 dozen cookies when using a cookie scoop or scooping by the tablespoon and rolling into a ball. I don’t press the cookie dough ball when I drop it onto the parchment lined baking sheet. It will spread the perfect amount as it bakes.
Once baked, I leave the cookies on the baking sheet to cool completely before transferring to a plate for serving. I like to put the baking sheet on a wire rack (or even on the metal grate of my cooktop) to help the air circulate around the pans for cooling.
Here’s my Chocolate Sugar Cookie recipe. Make them soon! I hope you love them as much as I do!
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon espresso powder, optional
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper or a nonstick baking mat.
- Cream together butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add egg and mix until well-combined. Stir in flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt, espresso powder and vanilla.
- Scoop cookie dough by the tablespoon full and roll into a ball.
- Place cookie dough onto baking sheet, spacing about 1½-inches to 2 inches apart. Lightly press each cookie down. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from oven and cool.