Chunky Tomato Basil Soup Recipe
Tomato Basil Soup is a wonderful comfort food anytime of year. This recipe for chunky tomato basil soup will quickly become a favorite.
Tomato soup is well-known as a comfort food. It’s rich creaminess just soothes me from the minute I take a bite and this chunky tomato basil soup takes that comforting classic to a whole new level.
My obsession with this soup began sort of innocently. My mother and I visited a restaurant in Atlanta one day for lunch and enjoyed their delicious tomato basil soup. It was pureed to perfection. I recreated their tomato basil soup at home over and over and then one time, I didn’t puree it nearly as much as I should have. And I loved it even more! Now, you can certainly puree it as much as you like just to make sure that it fits your preference perfectly.
Now that I have created it just like I like it, it’s hard for me to imagine going back to any other tomato soup recipe. This one is just right!
Here’s how I make it.
- 6 cups peeled, chopped tomatoes
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups basil leaves
- 1½ cups heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons butter
- pinch of salt
- Place tomatoes and chicken stock in stockpot.
- Throw in basil leaves and simmer over medium heat for approximately 10 minutes.
- Use a hand-held blender in your stockpot and blend for a few minutes, leaving chunks in the soup.
- Add in cream, butter and pinch of salt and allow to simmer on low for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve.